HybridZ

Anyone doing a VQ35DE Swap

So today i just got a VQ35DE from a buddy that works at Nissan for $200, not a bad deal at all the only problem with the engine is that it has bent valves from being timed wrong & has no Plenum other than that its a pretty good engine. I searched but didn't find anyone doing a build on a S130, only found builds on S30 chassis. I do recall finding some pictures of someone putting a VQ35 in a S130 but thats all i found no info, so i'm guessing i might have to base my build mostly off the S30.

I'm going to be picking up the rest of the coils and some bolts, but i will need to find everything else myself. Transmission, ECU, Wiring Harness etc...

Anyway here are some pictures of the motor!

post-5080-092383600 1312151726_thumb.jpg

post-5080-064659200 1312151735_thumb.jpg

post-5080-090115400 1312151745_thumb.jpg

Edited by 280zx@541

How many miles are on the engine?

Pretty much everything you need probably has an aftermarket part, so that's kinda good if you want to do upgrades.

First thing's first, take off the heads and see how bad its messed up inside. Pray you don't need a ridiculous amount of machine work.

How many miles are on the engine?

Pretty much everything you need probably has an aftermarket part, so that's kinda good if you want to do upgrades.

First thing's first, take off the heads and see how bad its messed up inside. Pray you don't need a ridiculous amount of machine work.

I was told no more than 50k, Tuesday I pick up the rest of the stuff the guy will pull up all the history on the motor.

Yeah I think I will do that some aftermarket stuff to it for sure don't really want to turbo it or supercharge it at the moment. Maybe some ITB's would be awesome!

I hope so too, if that's the case I can always sell it for more than what I bought it for and look for another one. I will be taking it apart tomorrow or sometime this week to see what I'm up against. :D

Besides checking all the valves and guides for issues. You need to check the backs of both variable timing sprockets. If the spot where the cam dowel pin goes is elongated, you will need a new one.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip I'm sure I will probably have to take the whole engine apart anyway just to make sure everything is ok.

This will be my first experience in the VQ engines so I will be doing a lot more research.

• 2 weeks later...

So i talked to Doug from Z-Fever, he was nice enough to e-mail me pictures of the current 280zx there working on with a VQ35 swap. He said it took about a year in a half to figure it all out and now offers a kit to put it all in yourself. You would have to send in your ECU & Harness and that's about $950 alone, Drive shaft is $450, i forgot how much the mounts were but in total is around $2K plus. I'm sure some of you know Z-Fever there located in Florida they've done about 50 VQ swaps into S14's, S13's, 510's, S30's etc... there drift car is a S14 with a G37 front end conversion VQ35 swap twin turbo.

Here are some pictures of the 280zx there working on now:

post-5080-011338000 1313441214_thumb.jpg

post-5080-002044800 1313441234_thumb.jpg

post-5080-017716000 1313441262_thumb.jpg

post-5080-013285100 1313441827_thumb.jpg

post-5080-031173100 1313441850_thumb.jpg

Always wondered how a VQ would look under our hoods. I like what I see.

Oh yeah! Just imagine the feel of the power when you hit the gas, they look super fast in a S30 body even stock.

I think I'm still gonna go for this swap for sure, Z-Fever also did a SR20 swap into a 280zx it's on there website looks a little odd but if it works why not!

• 2 weeks later...