HybridZ

Trying to get car started

98cobra+75280z

I have a 75 280z with a 82 turbo motor. I am sure many of you guys no this already since i have been posting in hybrid for a while. This project is coming on a year and a half now with no success. I am so frustrated with it and need some help. I cant seem to get my MS1 v2.2 to get good spark out of the HEI module. I get a very weak and slow spark (by slow i mean when cranking at like 400 rpm the spark only flashes once every couple seconds). I have triple check every wire in the car and am certain it is all correct, as Mobys write up explained. Another problem i am having is my Q5 transistor keeps burning out. This makes the computer fail to give an rpm signal to my labtop when i hook it up to my stim board. What is causing this and do i even need the Q5 transistor? i found a write up that seems to say i don't. http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/94597-megasquirt-280zx/page__p__890582?do=findComment&comment=890582 . Should i follow this board mod? will it work? I have another project car that i can finally work on for this winter, but this only can happen if i get my z running. If i cant im parting it out and taking the money i saved for my turbo install on my 98 cobra and buying a daily driver. So im hoping i can get some help and figure this one out. Please let me no what you guys think.

Thanks

Kevin

I'm a Megasquirt rookie, but from what little I've learned, it seems like you might be missing a pull-up resistor on the distributor output to your tach circuit and/or the wire to pin G on the HEI module (shown in mobythevan's diagram. That might give an inconsistent signal to the tach circuit in MS,or an inconsistent signal to the HEI module. Causing sporadic spark output in either case. Just a guess.

Transistors tend to get destroyed by voltage spikes, caused by things like static shocks or bad voltage regulators. Maybe you've got some stray voltage. Have you been connecting and disconnecting the battery or charging it a lot over the last year and a half? Again, just a guess. Consider carefully disconnecting your MS board before connecting chargers or jumping the car or whatever.

Just a few ideas for a good puzzle. Good luck.

Edit - you might consider drawing out your basic circuit diagram so people that do know can see if what you've done should work or not. Also, confirm that you have the 1982 distributor with the internal CAS.

Edited by NewZed

From what I understand (not a guru) you can run it without the HEI and invert the spark signal.

But it sounds like you are grounded out some where.

You wouldnt need a HEI module with a v3.0 board, however i have a v2.2 so i need something to control dwell which is what the HEI module is for. I would really like to find out if i can get rid of the Q5 transistor like is mentioned in the article that i posted earlier in this thread