HybridZ

Half power, sputtering, turbo surging....

My turbo Z was running great two days ago when I parked it. I had just giving it a hard drive. Then I came home, let it idle for cooldown, and parked it. Yesterday I went to to take it out, and it was sputtering lightly down the road. It made 10psi boost but only gave me about 50% of it's normal power. The turbo seemed to be fluttering a lot which it usually does not do. It had occasional pops in the intake. It still idles fine. The AFR's were dead on.

I am thinking I either blew another head gasket, skipped the timing chain, or spun the crank damper. It runs MSII and EDIS6 with a tooth wheel on the damper outer ring. I will get down to diagnostics after this extremely busy weekend. :angry: 1500 miles on the engine rebuild.

Edited by cygnusx1

Then I came home, let it idle for I am thinking I either blew another head gasket, skipped the timing chain, or spun the crank damper. It runs MSII and EDIS6 with a tooth wheel on the damper outer ring. I will get down to diagnostics after this extremely busy weekend. :angry: 1500 miles on the engine rebuild.

Could be, but first thing I'd do is pop the valve cover off, especially since it's a fresh engine. Check valve clearances and that everything is tight.

UPDATE:

Idle vacuum is around 14inHG and used to be 20inHG. Compression test is all around 140psi. Timing light shows ZERO ?! I tried tweaking the MSII timing maps and the trigger wizard. No matter what I do, the timing does NOT move from ZERO. Even when I rev the motor it sits at ZERO on the timing light.

EDIS6 gone bad, wiring gone bad, or MSII gone bad?

Good news is that I think it's not the engine. Bad news is, what is it?

Edited by cygnusx1

Swapped in a new EDIS unit and same thing. Uploaded older MSQ's and same thing. I took a datalog, but MS shows the normal timing activity, advancing on the maps. The timing light shows a different story; just a spark at TDC no matter what. Seems like EDIS6 limp mode a bit. I am not sure exactly where I set the base timing for EDIS when I mounted my trigger pick-up, but it was around 6deg advanced. To corroborate this, my Trigger Wizard was always set to -6.0 to get the timing light to match the MS display. So somehow, MS has lost control of timing and it is stuck at around 0-TDC (says the timing mark on the pulley)? Yes the old pulley may have slipped a few degrees, but timing won't react to RPM or map changes. Can't blame that on the pulley. :unsure:

Edited by cygnusx1

Definitely can do that. First thing I am going to do is order a new Ford magnetic pickup. They are cheap. Then I will go along and trace the EDIS wires, and the PIP/SAW wires to the MS box just to make sure. If that doesn't solve it, then it's time to dig into the MS box. I have no clue where to look for EDIS control problems, I am FAR from an electronics geek. I may try Clive's box, or send mine back to DIY Autotune for a massage.

I ruled out the EDIS Module, ruled out wiring by tracing from connector to connector, performed a visual inspection of the solder joints in MSII, and found nothing obvious. I am going to re-assemble and test if the rain ever ends around here. If it still does not work, then the problem has to be due to a bad component inside MSII.

I noticed today that the guy who helped me wire up my car ran TWO wires to terminal S5 on the relay board (which is where the SAW wire lands). I'm wondering if maybe he inadvertently wired the shield wire into the SAW wire. Am I crazy, or shouldn't terminal S5 ONLY have the SAW wire on it?

Turns out that the guy just used two lighter gauge wires in parallel to run the circuit. Apparently he bought two-pair #18 AWG wire with an overall shield, and used one pair to run SAW and the other pair to run the PIP circuit. But it looks like there may be exposed solder touching the intake manifold on one of my injector wires. So I may have an injector that is intermittently running in full-time mode. Also, I had a couple of dead-rich hits tonight (felt the car clunk and saw the AFR drop to <10).

But I'll stop hijacking your thread...