HybridZ

s13 TEIN coilovers w/ edfc on s30

Hey,

So I'm currently planning out a build for a 240z or early 260 (don't have a chasis yet, but do have a nice L28). I've been thinking about suspension a lot lately. When I first started looking into suspension for the s30, I saw the s13 swap. Has anyone done this with TEIN coilovers and installed EDFC? I searched and found a guy who put in sklyline subframes with tein coils and edfc. But have yet to see someone who did it with s30 sub frame and s13 tein coils. Unless I'm missing something, it would be the same as doing any other s13 coil swap, but you'd just have to mount the edfc stuff. Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Thanks!

-Austin

http://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html

Am I missing something or is EDFC just a controller that lets you bolt the included 4 stepper motors to the adjuster knobs on the shocks? If this is the case the only real hurdle you have to cross is actually figuring out a way to mount the stepper motor. Hood clearance and other issues might hinder the installation but the process isnt that complicated.

Personally I dont know if people really adjust their shock settings that much that theyd need a system in place to be able to do it on the fly. Maybe in a rally car with varying surface conditions or if youre really trying to tune the suspension on a road car and simply cant come in to change shock settings...

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

Thanks for the replies guys! Does someone happen to know how much hood clearance there is on an s30 between the top of the strut tower and the bottom of the hood?

And thanks for the heads up on that blue destiny. Hadn't really thought about that one, But I'm sure I can figure a way around it.

I don't need edfc. I also don't need a Z car or a car to begin with. Hell I only need 1 kidney lol. haha its more that it would be really cool. I always wanted it for my MINI but the coilovers compatible with the mini are out-the-butt expensive and way way way too stiff for the mini. It's just another novelty thing, but since I'm building the car ground-up, I want to make it my own, and add all the little novelties I think are cool. As I understand it, most people don't use it because they set the coils up for how they like them and then just drive them. For me, I'm sure I will want to change the suspension based off of the road I'm on, how I'm driving, if anyone else is in the car, if it's raining, etc. Without popping the hood. Not that it would take much longer then, but still would be very cool! And I realize that it's just a servo on top of the coilover but I was wondering why I hadn't seen it yet, and if maybe there's something you guys know that I don't. Anyways, its just a thought I had. I think it would be really cool, and if it fits into my budget/if I can make it work, it'd be a very cool piece to have on the car :)

There is not a lot of clearance between the hood and top mount, probably not enough for the edfc unit. Also you would need to basically cut out the stock mount and weld a new s13 coilover compatible top in.

Like these(not the tubes, just the strut tops/plates): http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt93255/pd2117800/240Z_MEGAN_SUSPENSION_TUBES__STRUT_PLATES_

Hmm well I guess clearance kills it then. Well I guess I have my answer on why it was never done. I think its not worth the effort and engineering for such a novelty item. I will just go with some other type of s13 coilover. Will save some money anyways! Well thanks for the information!, I will most certainly be asking for more help soon enough. Btw, this is by far the coolest/best forum I have been on before, everyone here seems pretty awesome. I'm super excited to become a real part of this once I get my Z.

Also, off topic, and I can probably find this online somewhere, but I haven't really seen it. Between a 240z and an early 260z, is there any difference besides the badging and the motor and all that? If I get a rolling chasis, would it be that much worse to get an early 260z vs a 240z? I know the earlier 240's were lighter, but they sell for a lot more too, it seems.

Buy whatever has less rust.

good call! I guess that means it don't matter. Thank you! Well I'm in the process of cleaning my garage while I save up for a chassis. My motor is sitting on 4x4's waiting to be rebuilt too. I will start a build thread once I get a chassis at least figured out.

Thank you guys for your help. I am sure you will hear from me soon enough. Btw- if anyone has a chassis that is pre '75 in the SF bay area that they are willing to let go, or if anyone knows anyone who has one, Please let me know via PM. Thank you!

-Austin

• 2 weeks later...