HybridZ

Spark plug diagnosis request

I finally have my 1976 280z with a freshly rebuilt L28ET swap up and running. It drives okay under low load, but I feel like it is at only 50% power. Under 7psi boost and/or WOT, I am getting intake backfires. My wideband O2 sensor is showing healthy AFRs under all operating conditions. Compression check shows 135-145psi across all six cylinders. I pulled the spark plugs and observed whitish firing ends on five out of six plugs. However, plug #4 definitely looked darker and fouled. These plugs all have less than 500 miles on them.

I've looked at several spark plug diagnosis charts, and it definitely looks like a classic fouled plug to me. But I'd love to hear what you guys have to say!

post-11359-067054000 1315791115_thumb.jpg

Wow, EXACTLY the same symptoms that I got last week, when I thought I blew my engine again....let me go find the post.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/101991-half-power-sputtering-turbo-surging/page__view__findpost__p__955106__fromsearch__1

Edited by cygnusx1

Similar, I suppose, but those are far from fouled enough to cause trouble. My plugs never all look identical...that is something I got over with some help from meditation :D

J/K it's probably related to injector balance, air flow balance, and condition of valve seals.

5 look lean, one looks very rich, possibly

causing the seemingly good afr's.

Check for a bad injector.

Swapping the suspect injector to another cylinder, and a road test,

could confirm this suspicion.

Ignition is also suspect.

Swap plug, wire, and injector to differnt cylinders.

See if problem follows any component ;)

Ok, put in a fresh set of BPR6EY-11 plugs, gapped to .030. I moved the #4 plug wire to #6 and moved the #4 injector to #1. Took it for a 20-minute test drive and pulled the plugs. Now all six look lean. #2 also looks like it has a burn mark, but I think that is from a spot of copper anti-seize that made it onto the insulator during installation. None of the electrodes had a wet appearance. My Supra MkIII turbo injectors are port-injecting into a stock 280zx turbo manifold, so I don't think there's a problem with the spray pattern itself.

Fuel is supplied by a Walbro GSL392 inline pump, pushing fuel through the stock hardline and up to a -8AN braided stainless line in the engine bay, on to a Pallnet rail, and regulated by an Aeromotive FPR with a mechanical pressure gauge. Return feeds into stock return hardline. Reading 45psi fuel pressure at idle.

My AFRs still look dead on. I get intermittent intake backfiring at full throttle, but my WBO2 shows 13-14:1. It still feels flat through the power band, but idles great and pulls fairly well under light throttle.

I parked the car and hooked up a cheap timing gun. The white dot I painted on the crank wheel definitely advances when I hand-throttle the engine, so at least some sort of advance is being commanded. But maybe at higher RPMs I'm getting signal noise and the SAW signal is dropping out? I think if the SAW weren't commanding advance at idle, I'd be in limp-home mode and only seeing 10*BTDC. But I'm not sure how I could be getting interference on the SAW wire, as the EDIS module and the Megasquirt relay board are only 6" apart inside the glove box, and I don't recall seeing any high current wires passing near them.

Fuel pressure looks good when the car's parked and I hand-rev the engine, but maybe it's dropping out under load...? Need to figure out a way to read mechanical fuel pressure while driving.

Other thoughts? What's going on here? My 0-60 time is something like 7-8 seconds. Even for a daily driver, that is unacceptable!

post-11359-000311500 1315875488_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtlantaZ

I can definitely run datalogs! But the mean old forum won't let me "post this type of file"...?

I ran a free air recalibration on my WBO2, and recalibrated the AFR tables, yesterday. I'm using an LC-1 and setting the Wideband O2 in Tunerstudio to "LC-1 Default".

Edited by AtlantaZ

I am attaching my ignition and AFR maps. Also note that my VE map looks awfully flat (the areas above 100kPa and 4000RPM aren't tuned, so ignore those areas).

*EDIT* Is it possible that I have something incorrectly wired on the Megasquirt board? I have a good tach signal and the advance seems to be moving as commanded by Megasquirt, so everything seems okay. But maybe I'm missing something...

post-11359-065432200 1315876835_thumb.jpg

post-11359-086621900 1315876847_thumb.jpg

post-11359-056783100 1315876857_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtlantaZ

What's your elevation? Are you running barometric corrections?

If you're running 13-14:1 AFR at full throttle you're way too lean.

Your AFR map seem a little on the lean side as well.

In boost on a street car I tune for Low to mid 11s under full boost. Atmospheric Baro is about 75kPa here, and I'm usually in the mid to low 12s (AFR) then.

I agree that some of the AFR areas are a bit lean. I have recently begun to throw fuel efficiency ideas out the window, and richened up my maps. It runs much better that way. 14.2:1 would be about as lean as my setup will smoothly tolerate under cruise. Everywhere else go rich or go home....I will try to get a look at your datalog and msq files tonight. It has been a rough few days so I haven't had any downtime.