HybridZ

1971 240z Clicking Ignition

Hey guys,

I have a 1971 240z with a Chevy 350 small block. The car runs amazing well, except sometimes when I go to start it all it does is click. At first I thought uh oh bad battery, which is a optima red top, but I had that checked and recharged and it checked out just perfectly. So I went ahead and had the starter tested thinking its my solenoid going bad, but the starter checked out fine at the autozone testing machine, unless the testing machine at autozone doesn't test the solenoid.

So knowing that the battery checked out and the starter checked out I went ahead and recheck all the grounds which are good too.

So at this point Im thinking that its the ignition relay, which I have not found where its located on this car.

Also, this is a super intermittent problem too, sometimes the car will fire right up for over two weeks straight, sometimes it just keeps happening multiple times during a day and than it just goes away.

FYI: I also have the amp meter by passed since I don't want it dead shorting from my 63amp alternator :)..

Any input or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Edited by 510can

So I did more snooping around today, and I think my main cause of problems is the starter solenoid going bad from being so close to the header.

Which would make sense because the problem seems to only occur when I have been driving the car hard for a little bit, then turn it off, and until it cools down when the solenoid wants to be a **** it just clicks but doesn't turn the starter like it should.

FYI, when I say click I mean its one solid click not multiple fast clicks like with a low battery.

Again any input is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Mike

Jump the solenoid terminals with a wrench, screwdriver, or piece of wire, when it's in click-mode. If it works, then you might have a voltage supply problem, to the solenoid. Or, probably a safer way if you're nervous, use a piece of wire and jump directly to the solenoid wire from the battery. Again, if it works, it's probably a power supply problem. Ignition switches and/or supply wires and connections are known for developing resistance, after many years of aging and use.

If you find that you can get it work with direct power from the battery, install a relay, to bypass the ignition switch and wiring. Search 260Z, relay, starter, and Ford to see some examples.

Be careful when applying direct power that you don't burn something or melt some wires by accident. Best to connect the starter wire first then jump at the battery to test. Don't forget to put the transmission in neutral. It should give you some clues.

SBC 350 starters tend to get heat soaked and then not work until they cool down. When heat soaked they just click or turn over slowly.

So, does your starter work ok when cold and only click when hot?

I solved this problem by replacing the stock starter with a gear reduction starter. My SBC engine always starts no matter how hot the engine bay is. Do a search for gear reduction starters such as Hitachi PSL 100 etc.

post-178-001693000 1316038257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles