HybridZ

recent buy, 1981

ZRoper

A friend of mine let me drive his 1980 red and black annv edition zx back in 81' when i was in high school. i drove that thing for 2wks before he sold it, I always said I'd get, one well after 30 yrs I found one on CL that was calling my name. runs good everything works good except power steering has a leak, and it only gets 18 MPG dont know if thats normal?

280zx.jpg

Edited by ZRoper

steering leak isn't normal (defined as working the way it should) but often seen on the older Z's. You can get a rebuilt rack for probably under $250. Not dificult to replace. be sure it isn't some of the hosing/tubing that is leaking. then you might as well replace the ball joints and bushings so the car goes where you point it. new shocks also do wonders. 18mpg is poor you should be over 20. one that is running well can get in the 24-25 range. Do a tune up. download the fsm from xenon so you know what you are working on

X2 everything he said

thats a pretty car too.

the '79 2+2 auto car I had for a bit only made about 22-23ish.

my 79 2 seat 5 spd was making 29-30 for awile but it had the tall gears in it.

so if you know what your doing the car can be very economical to drive for the performance that it has.

and the rear seat of the 2+2 oughta fit that lil guy decently well for atleast a few more years.

nice find. and welcome to the community known as Z guys ;)

I've got to get someone to watch the rack and lines while I turn the wheels to see if theres an obvious leak, also I have a steering rack on a parts car, what are the chances its still good? It has no play in the front end but it needs shocks, replaced old fouled out platnium plugs with new NGK's not sure which are the best.

The other bad thing is its a automatic and its a little slugish starting out but it has good top end, the old 5spd i drove back in 81 was quick off the line.

Thanks for ur input fellas

By doing a search I found this information, if its wrong someone will jump in.

The 81'zx NA had power steering recirculating ball, the 81'zxt was the first to have power rack and pinion. The unassisted steering boxes were all rack and pinion 79'-83'.

If you have a power steering rack and pinion box, and your car is not a turbo then, it's been converted.

Power rack and pinion was available on all 82'-83' model years.

My 2 83'zxts both have power rack and pinion, my 81'NA has power steering, recirculating ball.

Good new is that you can buy a power steering pump seal kit and both hoses from autozone.

pump seal kit # 8604 $22.99

pressure hose #91481 $29.99

return hose #91482 $27.99

kenny

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to get someone to watch the rack and lines while I turn the wheels to see if theres an obvious leak, also I have a steering rack on a parts car, what are the chances its still good? It has no play in the front end but it needs shocks, replaced old fouled out platnium plugs with new NGK's not sure which are the best.

The other bad thing is its a automatic and its a little slugish starting out but it has good top end, the old 5spd i drove back in 81 was quick off the line.

Thanks for ur input fellas

Yup - use the NGK BPR6ES-11