HybridZ

Injector upgrades

CAMarten

1978 280z w/ 1983 L28et pretty much all stock: slightly upgraded turbo, and exhaust. I'm rebuidling engine pretty much from ground up and I've got some sticky injectors that I will need to clean or replace. I'm eventually planning on upgrading injectors to something like a 450cc eclipse injector or something and at that time upgrading the ecu BUT now that it looks like I'm going to have to replace some injectors anyways I'm thinking that I might be better off to simply upgrade the injectors now rather than just replace them; HOWEVER I can't really afford the computer upgrade I want yet.

Now for the question: There is a lot of information on what injectors will fit right in an L28 and they all say "no mod required", but will higher flow injectors still work off the stock ecu until I upgrade in a year or two? cause I really don't want to waste $200 or more on stock injectors that I plan on swapping out in a year anyways. Any other advice is welcome as well, as this is my first Z project. I'm pretty sure one of the injectors is stuck open, and all of them are dirty and have broken connectors on them.

You might be able to fake your way along with lower fuel pressure. Of course,there could be unintended consequences.

The linked calculator below shows that you'd have to run about 12 psi fuel pressure to get close to the 265 cc turbo injector flow rate, so that the ECU can work with it, from a 450 CC injector (450 cc at 36 psi). Just an example, plug your own numbers in and see what comes out.

I've never tried it but, in simple theory, it should work. I assume that the flow rate specs are at wide open, so injector solenoid electrical factors like opening time aren't considered (described in the FSM's Engine Fuel section).

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx