HybridZ

Austin's Z car

Well one bad thing happened today. Got the brake calipers from ebay. they are junk! pistons are frozen and the whole thing is riddled with rust. Asking half my money back. Then I'll use them as cores to get some A1 cardone semi-loaded calipers. They're about $50 each so it's not horrible. Plus then I know I have good brakes, $100 isn't much to pay for my life! I'm going to need to run new brake hardlines as well (I'm putting a proportioning valve and hydro e-brake on the tranny tube inside :) ). From what I can tell, I need 10mm lines? Is that correct? I've seen people talk of 1/4" and 10mm. I think metric would be correct. I'm going to be using s13 rear calipers and a wilwood MC for both brakes and clutch. I refuse to skimp time or money on brakes.

Edit: another mishap. Just searched my vin and license plate # online for fees due, etc. Looks like I have to pay about $675.00 when I register the car. GREAT. That is really annoying. Oh well it could be worse.

Edited by luseboy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha well another question for me to answer on my own. Part of me is thinking it would make sense to get rid of the stock fuel system and just put in a fuel cell. I must be crazy, right? What is involved with putting a cell in? I need to do custom hardlines anyways... so I figure I might as well. Summit plastic 16 gallon cells are only $170... might be a smart/safe idea. what do you think? anyone? haha

I agree, I'd keep the stock tank for a street car. Putting in a fuel cell is a PITA, at least when doing it "right", and I'm sure a good quality one is pretty expensive. Like I said, just put in new fuel evap lines when you do the tank and you'll be good to go, along with a working stock fuel filler to boot!

I wouldn't bother with a fuel cell, and those plastic ones are garbage. A proper fuel cell set up is very expensive. For a street car, the stock tank is fine.

I agree, I'd keep the stock tank for a street car. Putting in a fuel cell is a PITA, at least when doing it "right", and I'm sure a good quality one is pretty expensive. Like I said, just put in new fuel evap lines when you do the tank and you'll be good to go, along with a working stock fuel filler to boot!

Thanks guys! Sounds good to me. I'll just make sure to clean out the tank really well and replace all the lines and everything. Should work well. Haha after getting a ride in your car leon, I'm super stoked to get my Z going. Hoefully it'll be soon... I mean hopefully I will be able to sell my mini soon :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! Sounds good to me. I'll just make sure to clean out the tank really well and replace all the lines and everything. Should work well. Haha after getting a ride in your car leon, I'm super stoked to get my Z going. Hoefully it'll be soon... I mean hopefully I will be able to sell my mini soon :rolleyes:

No problem, hope it gave a boost to your motivation! You'll have to drive it sometime! ;)

No problem, hope it gave a boost to your motivation! You'll have to drive it sometime! ;)

Haha it sure did! My Gf's dad was telling me yesterday that he saw a red Z driving on the freeway. I asked "did it have a super loud exhaust?" Haha he said it did so I figured it must have been you it would have been when you were going home anyways. He thought you must get a lot of cop attention haha.

Right so I acctually got a lot done today. Pulled the passenger side strut (again without a spring compressor). And acctually the insulater was stuck to the strut shaft, so I went to cut it off with a saw-zall, and the vibration broke it free and it shot about 20 feet across my driveway! Haha it was funny/scary all at the same time. I then proceeded to pull the steering knuckles (pretty stuck on there), front sway bar, and steering rack. Next thing is gland nut round 2. Let's see how that one goes. Also I'm going to start rebuilding the steering rack soon (what kind of grease do I need?). I also ground down the stock spring perch on the driver's side. I took some pictures finally, I've been well over-due.

What is that wheel called? I have 2 of them, they came on the front of the car, and they say made in the usa on the back. So are the american racing, centerline, or what? Any ideas? I know they aren't original... they're 14x7. I'll use them as spares. Or maybe I'll sell them, I haven't decided. They're pretty curbed. I also put in some pictures of my dash that I'm working on. I've just been filling in the cracks and the cigarette lighter/hazard knob holes with some caulking. Once I get it all nice, I will spray it with black plasti-dip, which should give it a nice texture/feel. I also have a picture of my center console which was in 2 pieces when I got it. I sprayed it and the door release handle surrounds with plasti-dip. Anyways I've gotten a lot done and I'm happy with that. Oh! I almost forgot. I also wanted to show where I'm thinking of putting the filter for my CAI (cold air intake, don't know if that's a well-known acronym here). It would have been easier to set up with a 4bbl carb as I had originally thought I'd do. But with my current triple weber fixation, it will be tough to get a box. Besides the TWM air box, does anyone make an air box for triple carbs? Anyone come across a DIY? I searched around and couldn't find anything...

post-22866-080865800 1323640048_thumb.jpg

post-22866-068055900 1323640054_thumb.jpg

post-22866-007181400 1323640078_thumb.jpg

post-22866-091559800 1323640088_thumb.jpg

post-22866-097368000 1323640101_thumb.jpg

post-22866-037208900 1323640114_thumb.jpg

post-22866-062495100 1323640128_thumb.jpg

post-22866-064799900 1323640138_thumb.jpg

post-22866-052850800 1323640147_thumb.jpg

Edited by luseboy

Well... Pulled the X member today, and got the car lower on jack stands and thought "wow the car looks really low, I wonder if it's at about what final height will be..." I measured it... The rocker panels were 10" off the ground, meaning the car would be about 5.5" lower in the front at final planned ride height :). That made me happy, so I kept working, and proceeded to chisel off most of the undercoating in the driver's side front wheel well. Something just occured to me though... The undercoating doesn't have asbestos in it, I hope? I wasn't wearing a mask or anything... Please tell me I don't have cancer now... Haha.

Well... I've pretty much got all of the undercoating off the driver's wheel well. I'm about to go chisel off the last bit of it. Also got both the stock spring perches all ground off of the front strut tubes. Hopefully I can finish sectioning them this week. Also, looks like I'm trading my mini for a nice restored porsche 914 + 4 grand. Should let me get my kicks out, and get me stoked for the Z. Plus it has some cool stuff in it like a momo steering wheel and a cool shift knob. But I'm more stoked about the 4 grand. And, I just got off the phone with a rota dealer who is setting me up with some aleica's in 15x8 et -5 for under $600 shipped. Pretty stoked about that, and I can get them in any color I want, choosing between: Pink, Gold, Bronze, Hyper black, or Gunmetal. Still can't decide on color of the rims, but I am pretty much decided on having the Z painted orange. I think gunmetal is probably gonna be the color... But bronze looks cool too. Anyways, here's a picture of the wheel in gold. Looks pretty flashy. I don't know how gold rims would look on an orange car. I think I'll have to go with bronze...

post-22866-072664500 1324491199_thumb.jpg

Here's bronze...

post-22866-097824300 1324491328_thumb.jpg

Is it this 914?

A couple of bits of advice for you, gathered from my experience:

(1) Do not buy wheels at the start of your project. Your taste will change, and the direction of your build will evolve as you go. Don't spend a bunch of money on something that you can't use now or in the near future.

(2) Be careful of getting another cool car that you will also work on (the 914). Your attention may divert elsewhere and the Z will be left to sit until you "have time to work on it" or "have some extra money to put in". At least that's what happened to me when I bought my 260Z mid-way through the 240Z project.

If the 914 is completely refreshed and doesn't need attention right away then it may be okay. You'll have to resist thoughts of modifying it though! Maintenance can add up quickly, so make sure that every bit of that Porsche is up to snuff if you intend to trade your 30-year younger Mini for it. It seems like the guy took care of a lot of cosmetic details, but be sure to check the engine and suspension thoroughly for signs of heavy wear. Careful with new paint jobs as they can hide rust. Don't let the flash of a nice paint job or interior blind you as to the overall condition of the car.

Good luck!

Is it this 914?

A couple of bits of advice for you, gathered from my experience:

(1) Do not buy wheels at the start of your project. Your taste will change, and the direction of your build will evolve as you go. Don't spend a bunch of money on something that you can't use now or in the near future.

(2) Be careful of getting another cool car that you will also work on (the 914). Your attention may divert elsewhere and the Z will be left to sit until you "have time to work on it" or "have some extra money to put in". At least that's what happened to me when I bought my 260Z mid-way through the 240Z project.

If the 914 is completely refreshed and doesn't need attention right away then it may be okay. You'll have to resist thoughts of modifying it though! Maintenance can add up quickly, so make sure that every bit of that Porsche is up to snuff if you intend to trade your 30-year younger Mini for it. It seems like the guy took care of a lot of cosmetic details, but be sure to check the engine and suspension thoroughly for signs of heavy wear. Careful with new paint jobs as they can hide rust. Don't let the flash of a nice paint job or interior blind you as to the overall condition of the car.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Leon! And yes, it is that car. I wasn't planning on buying wheels yet, but I was bored and emailed them about those wheels and they told me to call that number so I did and then I got the price for the wheels. I wont be getting wheels until I have en engine dropped in, paint done, full suspension done, etc. Basically when the car is ready to drive except the interior. But they're one of my favorite rims and I'd love to get them, so I was just trying to figure out how to get them without importing them from the UK. And I did!

Well the 914 is kinda a cool car. I don't like them that much, I mean they're my favorite porsche, but I don't like porsches that much. I've never driven a RWD car before so this would get me used to it, plus the 5 speed would get me out of the habbit of shifting into 6th gear (reverse is in the same place on a datsun 5 speed haha). I won't touch this car. The only money I will spend on it is gas, and maybe an oil change if need be. I will probably only drive the porsche for about 3 months or so. I'll definitely watch out for heavy wear. I talked to the guy on the phone, and he seems pretty honest... He did offer to add in a gun as part of his side of the trade haha, but otherwise a pretty normal guy. Going up to concord to see the car on friday, so we'll see what condition it's really in. But it's a coo little car, I should have some fun in it while I'm waiting to drive my Z. Plus it will pay for paint, suspension, finishing the chassis, and basically getting the Z ready to drive. We will see what happens... But I like the idea of getting used to a RWD car better than sitting on my mini and wishing I had more money to spend haha.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's definitely a cool car! Just don't swoon over the car until you've thoroughly inspected every crevice. It's easy to blur out the things that may be wrong with the car in order to justify the purchase. If it's truly in very good shape, and you don't mind replacing a new-ish car with all of its conveniences for an almost 40-year-old tin can (not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing) then do it. Just know that there are "plenty of other fish in the sea".

Personally, I wouldn't mind having something like a 914 (almost got a 944 myself before getting my first 240Z), although I think I'm a little big for them and the engine is definitely not overpowering to say the least. Not sure how I'd handle one as a daily, but I do have a long commute. I like the widebody on that red one, though.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's definitely a cool car! Just don't swoon over the car until you've thoroughly inspected every crevice. It's easy to blur out the things that may be wrong with the car in order to justify the purchase. If it's truly in very good shape, and you don't mind replacing a new-ish car with all of its conveniences for an almost 40-year-old tin can (not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing) then do it. Just know that there are "plenty of other fish in the sea".

Personally, I wouldn't mind having something like a 914 (almost got a 944 myself before getting my first 240Z), although I think I'm a little big for them and the engine is definitely not overpowering to say the least. Not sure how I'd handle one as a daily, but I do have a long commute. I like the widebody on that red one, though.

Haha ya, I've always liked em. Never loved them, and still don't, but I like them enough to have one for a few months. I will definitely look over the car with a fine-toothed comb. Well I'm gonna be losing the convinces anyways haha. Except I guess this one won't be totaly customized to my liking, as the Z will be, but it should be cool. Yes, I've got some other offers. And I will be going to check it out with the sole purpose of checking it out. I wouldn't be able to hand over the mini then anyways because I'd have to smog it, and have my mom sign over the title first. But the other nice thing about the 914, like the Z is that it is also pre-75, so I wouldn't have to smog it either, which would be awesome!

Haha ya the little engine probably won't impress me. I mean it's technically .2 liters bigger than the mini's, but it doesn't have 4 valves per cylinder, a cross-flow head, or a blower haha. But I don't mind, I can wait to be impressed by my far superior Z :D, and this is just a means of getting said far superior car road-worthy. I've always liked the 944's too, but not enough to where I'd ever want to own one. Haha yeah, I have a much much shorter commute. Even if I drove to srjc every day from my house in marin, I'd still have a much, much shorter commute than you haha. I still can't imagine doing that every day, I don't know how you do it! Ya it's pretty cool. I usually hate widebodies, but it looks good on the 914 for some reason.

Also I saw that the heads alone from that 2.0 engine he's including go for around $550 on CL. So I should be able to bring in some extra cash by selling that engine. And I'm sure that 914 fanatics would love this car, so come summer time when I sell it, I shouldn't have too many problems selling it. I really just see it as part of getting my Z finished. As I said, I have plenty of time, it's money I lack haha.

Edited by luseboy

Well I did go check out the 914 and it was pretty darn cool, but the guy was pretty annoying, he only cared about the look of the mini, and was concerned about the scratches and dents it has. And the 914 had a couple bad synchros and the brakes felt like they definitely needed some attention and, and, and. It all added up and I decided to walk away. So I still have no money and I still have a newer expensive german car (not an old one!). Still don't know what I'm getting for christmas for the Z, as my mom said that what she ordered hasn't come in yet, and she won't tell me what it is. She's out of town for another week or so anyways so I won't know for a little while, as it's shipping to her office haha. Anyways I got a fair bit done today. Went to a co-workers house today and used his super sweet Milwaukee metal chop saw to section the strut tubes. Took all of 10 minutes, that thing cut through the tube like butter! Anyways looks like I got them cut down to the exact right length. A little too long if anything, which is better than too short, because I can always put a spacer underneath the gland nut, or under the strut insert itself. Anyways I will probably pick up some welding gas this week, and then I should be good to go to finish that aspect of the front suspension. I also pulled the whole steering column, pedal box, and brake booster out today. I will be pulling everything out of the engine bay, to strip the old paint off. I am going with the contrasting engine bay look, and have decided to paint it midnight purple with lime green and gold splatter type stuff B). I know, sounds ricey, but I like the look! Plus I always felt that the engine bay is what really shows the builders personality, and well, I'm borderline insane so it works haha. Also decided on wheel color, I will be going with the hyper black with a polished lip, I think it will look awesome on an orange car. However, I have been thinking of maybe instead of orange, a sorta metallic copper kind of color. I will decide when I have money for a paint job, and I start talking to whatever paint shop I choose, and see what color choices they have. Does anyone know any good, fairly cheap paint shops in the bay area? I'm tempted to go to maaco, but haven't decided. And, finally, I decided, after reading a billion posts, that I will go with the silvermine stage 4 brake kits front and rear. This is just a vented toyota 4x4 front caliper, and a vented ford mustang gt rear caliper for those of you who aren't familiar. Should give enough bite, I hope!

Well, got both strut tubes sectioned and got the gc perch welded on. Welding gas made a huge difference with that. Primered and painted both of them, finished that toady. I will post pics tomorrow. Gonna install the actual strut inserts tomorrow, we'll see how that goes. I spent a couple days getting the passenger side one to fit since it was such a tight squeeze. A combination of dremel tools, filing, and a small cylinder hone on a drill to the inside of the strut tube, and steel wool to the outside of the insert got it to fit, finally! I also primered and painted the X-member, steering knuckles, and steering rack mount brackets. I will start re-building the rack itself tomorrow. Basically I'm just going to take the whole thing apart and clean it out, re-lube everything, paint the outside, and get some new boots for it. Luckily, the inner tie rods feel great, so I will not be replacing them. The outers will be replaced with moog tie rod ends, and I may even cut them in half and make them adjustable from the middle as well, since I'm gainging negative camber from the adjustable control arms, and I will probably put them out too far for the tie rod end. We'll see if I can get them out enough so I can have 0 toe in the front. Aside from that, I sprayed the engine bay with jasco, used up a whole spray can, but that didn't cover everything so I'll have to grab another one tomorrow. Stuff is starting to come together :)

Finished these today. Freaked out because I put the gland nut on before putting the threaded tube on and then I couldn't get it to go on so I was scared that the gland nut would be stuck. It came off fairly easily, the blue loctite hadn't dried yet. I had to steel wool the paint down on the driver's side strut insert and it ended up sliding in, a tight fit, but it works. I put a **** ton of grease inside the tube before sliding both inserts in, and then poured some old 20w50 motor oil I had in my garage. Then I cleaned off the threaded portions for the loctite, and pipe wrenched my gland nut on. Pretty darn happy with the results. Also started chipping off the paint that I jascoe'd, it came off a little harder than I expected. I will take a couple pics of the painted X member, steering knuckles, and steering rack brackets soon. Probably not tomorrow since it's my first day back at school and I have work afterwards, but soon none the less. What do you guys think of my coilovers?

post-22866-004891100 1325649462_thumb.jpg

Looking good. Now get that shell into shape and you're in business!

Haha that comes next. Well I have to save up for about the next month and a half to get the car up to date with registration and everything, then I will have some money to spend on parts. Once I finish the front suspension, I will move onto the rear suspension and chassis, including frame rails, subframe connectors, brake and fuel hardlines, and new undercoating. Then I will get the car painted, get some new feet and shoes and brakes, Then basically re-wire everything, drop the engine in, install everything, and then turn the key and hope she starts :rolleyes:. After that, it's just interior, for now anyways :). God I can't wait to drive this thing. I ordered the key fob I will be using, and got some cool stickers that I will put on the car as well from the same company. Yes, I do think that far in advance :P. Idk just the thought of foot to floor, tires screeching, jamming into 3rd gear coming out of a corner, that's what's keeping me going :)

Oh and for my exhaust, I finally made up my mind: MSA TBC coated 6-1 header, straight into a hushpower 2 resonator, then a dynomax race bullet muffler, then a borla pro-xs muffler and finally out a 2.5" tip. All with 2.5" piping. And I will have an o2 sensor in there somewhere for a wideband, as well as a venturi valve for a crankcase evac system. I think that will give me the quiet but exotic exhaust sound I like :)

Edited by luseboy

Coilovers look sweet all finished up. What length springs did you go with?? (I think you can choose between 8" or 10" right?)

Thanks :D, I'm really excited about them. Once I finish my engine bay, I finally get to install a part, the X-member, I'm pretty stoked since up until then it will all have been removal of parts. It's all freshly painted and looks great as well. It will be quite some time before I get to acctually put in the coilovers though, as I will have to get LCA's, T/C rods, Tie rod ends, RCA's, strut mount insulators, etc. before I get there, but can't wait for that :). I got the coilovers from TTT and they reccomended 10" so that's what I went with. They're really nice springs too, eibach race springs, well made, in the USA, linear rate. I got 225 lbs for the front and 250lbs for the rear for the rates. Should handle very well when I'm done, and give me plenty of room to lower and raise the suspension.