HybridZ

f54 with n42 head, turbo?

Dillon

Back from the dead guys so i resonantly did a compression test on that f54 block with n42 head l28 i have,and i got 150psi on every cylinder B)

So add some boost!

I'd seen this thread before and thought it was well covered, but since you brought it back up... I'll second the whole "good management" issue. Don't rely on stock EFI, even for a second. And if it's not the turbo dizzy then go with a trigger wheel too. You'll want good control of timing since you need to retard timing under boost, and overall timing curve will need to be tuned to THAT block, head, and cam combo. There's NO factory tune I'd trust for that setup, and I wouldn't BEGIN to think about getting a factory tune to work for sake of cost.

Lol I will give it some deep throut boost.

What do you suggest? Like for tuning, the program?

I'm real good with mechanical stuff, I can rebuild a engine with no problem, but when it comes to fuel ratios and electronics I'm pretty dumb. Haha so you may have to baby talk me.. But thanks for commenting back and actually helping a fella out.

Lol I will give it some deep throut boost.

What do you suggest? Like for tuning, the program?

I'm real good with mechanical stuff, I can rebuild a engine with no problem, but when it comes to fuel ratios and electronics I'm pretty dumb. Haha so you may have to baby talk me.. But thanks for commenting back and actually helping a fella out.

Hm, thanks I'll check into megasquart.

I was trying to figure out what would be a safe turbo to use and safe psi to use.. But im thinking about maybe a holset

B/c of the cheepness from getting it from the junk yard..

But don't know much about holsets sizing.. Lol.

I'd be looking for either the HX35 or HY35 if you want to go Holset. The HX would give you a bit more headroom to grow if you want to get crazy, but the HY will spool a litte bit faster but will become a flow hindrance at higher HP levels with a typical wastegate configuration.

And since you probably want some numbers, I'd go with the HY for anything under 300hp, and HX for anything over 300hp. The HY will do 300hp just fine, it's just that you'll not have much room to grow, and with a turbo motor it's just too tempting to test the limits and go for more power, so why buy two turbos when you can just buy one?

I'd estimate the PSI for 300hp with either of those turbos to be between 14-16psi, which should be safe on your motor if it's tuned well. The thing with tuning is that you have to take it in small chunks. Start with minimal boost and work your way up.

Dude, thanks!

That really helped, I like when people explain what their saying, like some people would have just said "go get a hx and, run it till it dies, and tunings hard!" lol

Oh one last question, what's a good size injector?

For about...350/400hp

That's what I'm looking to go up to.. But I know with a boosted car it is hard to stay with one number.

like some people would have just said..

Gollum and others are being nice and spoon feeding you information. EVERY question you have asked has been discussed multiple times on this board. You wouldn't need to post your questions if you would have searched enough.

There are injector sizing calculators on RC Engineering's website. Go there to figure out your injector sizing. That's what I did.

Edited by rossman

Just keep in mind that if you're going to run E85 you'll need much larger injectors, almost double, for a given HP level.

Also, remember that often quality matters more than quantity. You CAN run way larger than needed injectors IF they're good quality. I've seen 1500cc injectors that idle better than some 700cc injectors. The quality of the driver (ECU) matters too. Megasquirt can run 700cc injectors just fine if they're decent quality. I haven't seen over 1000cc run on MS so I can't attest to that, but I've seen some of the more high end ECU's run huge injectors like that just fine, while a cheaper piggy back ECU with cheap injectors and be a pain to get to idle right.

I'd also make sure to get injectors with flow results.

And rossman is right, I AM spoon feeding you, in hopes that you'll get past the high chair years and develop into a walking talking functioning car guy. I'm more willing to spoon feed people than others but it's definitely conditional and I choose my battles. Others aren't as obviously interested in real data and willing to listen. Keep a teachable mindset and you'll go a long way. And do lots of searching and reading! There's guys that spent months reading threads on here until starting their first thread.

I know everyone that has replied had been spoon feeding me, and I said "thank you" multiple time, b/c I feel bad

I don't like asking thousands of questions.. But I don't have a computer, so I'm on a crappy phone and it's really hard to do good research. I'm sorry..

Also, I have been on here and searching all the time before I made a account, and still do..

But I thought while I have someone here willing to help, I would ask. And when I said "some people would.." I wasn't talking about any of y'all; I was talking about just other people who wouldn't care to help.. I have friends like that, that think your just on your own and you have to fend on your own. Which kinda sucks

But I wasn't complaining one bit, I was thanking y'all for the spoon feeding :/

Sorry guys.

Thank you, mainly the stuff I asked was your opinions, Becouse y'all seemed down to earth and would give an honest good opinion. Unlike some threads I would have found that everyone is just ranting everything.

I know everyone that has replied had been spoon feeding me, and I said "thank you" multiple time, b/c I feel bad

I don't like asking thousands of questions.. But I don't have a computer, so I'm on a crappy phone and it's really hard to do good research. I'm sorry..

Also, I have been on here and searching all the time before I made a account, and still do..

But I thought while I have someone here willing to help, I would ask. And when I said "some people would.." I wasn't talking about any of y'all; I was talking about just other people who wouldn't care to help.. I have friends like that, that think your just on your own and you have to fend on your own. Which kinda sucks

But I wasn't complaining one bit, I was thanking y'all for the spoon feeding :/

Sorry guys.

Thank you, mainly the stuff I asked was your opinions, Becouse y'all seemed down to earth and would give an honest good opinion. Unlike some threads I would have found that everyone is just ranting everything.

Didn't Slow Old Car make 400rwhp on an HY35?

I believe so, but you're getting into a really hot realm of the map on that thing by that point. I wouldn't expect to get those kind of numbers for extended periods of time without some serious heat management solution, even if it's just meth or water injection. Point being, the HX35 on the same motor would have kept intake temps a bit more controllable.

I know the HX35 will flow enough to make 500whp in several different applications, and I don't think the HY is THAT much far behind, but you won't find nearly as many people making those numbers on them. They just getting too hot at that point. The same goes for the HX at 600whp. I've seen it done on some honda motors, but it's getting dicey at that point, just go with a larger compressor unless you like going to extreme cooling solutions.

Yeah, that's what I understood along time ago.

And with the smaller turbo at a high hp rate it will be spinning at it's max alot more than a bigger turbo at the same hp.

but If you want to drift the z than you may want to get the smaller holset hy35

"I think y'all said that was the smaller one."

So it will spool faster and give you more low end toarqe.