HybridZ

Oil pressure, temperature, starvation for road race duty

Bringing this back from the dead as I believe I'll be dealing with this very issue soon. BjHines I'll be bending your ear. Right now I have nothing on the exhaust side, and only have a PCV valve running up to the airbox on the passenger side and the driver's side running an air tube over to an AllStar catchcan with breather. I don't think it'll be sufficient based on what I've read here. Oil won't be an issue for me with the setup I have, but I will heed Coffey's advice and run my oil temp sensor after the cooler inline away from the pan.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have pics up yet, but wanted to chime in and thank John Hines for this thread... It actually forced me to look hard at how I was venting my crankcase. We took an existing piece we were using by ALSTAR and made it into our crank vent tank. We used two ports on the unit, creating the second one with a large washer and fitting, and adhering it to the tank with JBweld. I bought the moroso crank evac kit from a local speed shop, and some heater hose kits from the hardware store... I think total, including the Ts, I have maybe $100 in everything. I'll post pics in my build thread later... Welded in the tubes yesterday and today I'll re-wrap the pipes with my header wrap and re-install everything!

Mike

• 3 months later...

I have test results back from the track and I LIKE IT!!!!

Oil warms up fast and does not over heat. Pressure is good except under hard braking, but the accusump kicks in with plenty of reserve.

I posted a video of engine vac, You can see it on the gauge the passenger is holding. It varies between 2" and 8" under ALL conditions.

I put together a video of the oil pressure and accusump gauges at work on track. The oil pressure is the top left(3 cluster). The accusump charge is the white faced gauge on the lower right(near the stick). You can see the accusump discharging with teh white faced gauge dropping quickly. You might notice that the oil pressure gauge drops quickly but stays at least 25PSI.

Edited by bjhines