HybridZ

Subaru sti diff clutch type -what oil

madkaw

Well I went to the auto parts store to get some gear oil for my newly aquired 2005 STI diff. They had no listing or info on what oil was recommended for this type diff. So off to Google land I went and found many answers. It seems though that the clutch type uses a very specific oil to work properly. I noticed what came out of my diff was green in color, so I presume that is the stock stuff from subaru. I finally found a part# k0305y0900 for the subby fluid and I guess the diff just takes one quart.

Like to here what you guys have found concerning this.

I've never had to service a LSD diff so i am not familiar with the additives you speak of Jon. I guess these will be available at the parts store. So an additive is necessary regardless what type of LSD you use(torsion, clutch,etc..)??

And the viscosity of oil?

The additive is called Friction Modifier and is sold in 4oz bottles. As Jon said any GL5 gear oil will be fine for a street driven car. If it gets really hot where you live (like Texas, Arizona, etc.) or you drive at sustained speeds over 80mph then a 85W/-140 weight GL5 oil might be a better choice.

FYI... AGMA 5EP/ISO VG 220 industrial gear oils are the same as automotive 90W GL5. You can generally get those industrial gears oils at half the price of Redline or other aftermarket gear oils.

We use Redline 75W90 GL-5 gear oil in our STi LSD. We have only driven the car at one track event so far but the LSD works well and there is no indication of a problem. This particular Reline oil contains the friction modifiers mentioned by John and Jon. Redline also sells the modifier separately which you can add to conventional 85W90 gear oil or the specialty gear oil of your choice.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

Found this searching the Subby sites, they are specifying the oil for clutch type. The subby stuff is the green gear oil. I read on many posts that the guys won't deviate from the OEM oil

Thank you for your patience. I researched this in our Technical Service Manuals. No, the LSD gear oil used in your 2006 WRX STI is not used in the 2007 WRX STI. In the Technical Service Manual for your 2006 WRX STI Sedan, it states:

Mechanical LSD oil MUST be used for STI model. Recommended oil - Gear oil LSD (Subaru part # K0305Y0900), GL-5 (90) or equivalent.

In the Technical Service Manual for the 2007 WRX STI Sedan, it states:

Recommended gear oil: GL-5 (75W-90) or equivalent.