HybridZ

Had spark...then lost it

I've had my car about a month now. Up to a few nights ago it would start up and run fine. But the other night I was out driving around the neighborhood and the car died on me after coming to a stop sign. It cranked right back up so I u-turned and headed back to the house. It hesitated the entire drive back to the house ~.5 miles then died as I pulled into the driveway.

I had originally thought I was out of gas b/c my gauge doesn't work and I can't fill the tank up due to a deteriorated rubber filler neck. I shook the car some and could hear gas, but added some more anyway, even after seeing gas in the clear fuel filter. The car would not start.

I pulled a plug wire and tried to find a spark with a screw driver shorted to ground. No spark while cranking it. Same story with the coil wire.

What could cause a sudden loss of spark like this? Anything else I should be checking for? This is all stock ignition as far as I know.

Do you have the FSM? If not download it from Xenon's site (xenons30.com). Read the ignition section in the Engine Electrical section. There is a description of system operation and troubleshooting.

I would first check for voltage at the coil and then check the points visually and measure point gap. If there is no voltage at the coil, trace the wires until you find the problem. This is assuming that this is regarding the car in your sig.

FYI, this should be in the Troubleshooting forum.

Do you have the FSM? If not download it from Xenon's site (xenons30.com). Read the ignition section in the Engine Electrical section. There is a description of system operation and troubleshooting.

I would first check for voltage at the coil and then check the points visually and measure point gap. If there is no voltage at the coil, trace the wires until you find the problem. This is assuming that this is regarding the car in your sig.

FYI, this should be in the Troubleshooting forum.

I do have the FSM and will be using that to troubleshoot. I just thought it was odd that it would show itself so randomly. Was hoping it was something more obvious.

Fresh battery? Grounds? Bad coil?

Do a few checks with the multi meter then get back to us.

I had a chance to check a few thing with the multimeter.

Voltage is low to the positive side of the coil. 4.9 volts. I'll need to get the charger back on the battery.

Resistance is low in the coil wire and a couple of the other spark plug wires I checked. Between 7-12 ohms.

I'll need some daylight and to study a bit more to figure out the point gaps and condenser.

I spent some more time with the car today. After charging the battery for a while, I am getting 12.5 v at the battery, but only 5.2 v at the + side of the coil. When I unplug the + wire, I get 12 v. Plug it back in, 5.2 volts.

I tried unplugging the condenser and it still wouldn't start. I passed a wire from the + of the battery to the + side of the coil, tried to start it. Nothing.

With the key in the on position, the 1"x1"x4" block just below the coil heats up to the touch. What is this block? Is it a fusible link? Is this normal?

Haven't messed with the distributor or points yet.

The 1x1x4 object, if it's made of a white ceramic material, is your ballast resistor. It's purpose is to drop the current to the coil when the engine is running. It shouldn't get warm unless the engine is running though, unless your points happen to stop in the closed position. Your points might have come loose and closed on you or shorted out. I think that there is another condenser under the distributor cap that can short out also. I would pop the cap and see how things look.

Warning - I'm only speaking from general past knowledge of points operation. I have electronic ignition. There could be errors above.

Update:

I pulled the distributor cap and cleaned the contacts with some sand paper. I also unbolted the condenser near the cap (it actually looked like there were two). Bolted everything back up and the car fired right up. I wasn't expecting it to happen, but I was happy none the less. Thanks for all the ideas. (I have a feeling this is only a temporary fix, however).

Well here is a suggestion, do some searching for the GM HEI upgrade or the ZX dizzy (e12-80). Getting rid of the points will take the condenser out of the equation and should solve any future problems with spark.

An LS1 will solve that problem too :)