HybridZ

plain steel wheel

I saw a picture of a Z with what looked like a plain steel wheel.

I really liked the look, simple, flat black..

Is the problem with those just the weight?

http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_asphalt.html

Seems like this company has something that would be simple, clean and cheap for a rat-rod type look.

I like the idea of a 15x8 front and 15x10 rear or along those lines...

Doesn't seem like these weigh much different than the group buy Rotas?

They're really not that heavy when you get the spun shells. They are fragile though. If you talk to Diamond Racing Wheels they'll tell you so, and also remind you that you can buy a spare wheel or two for the price of one custom aluminum rim.

Those Bassett wheels look like they're a lot cheaper than DRW's. DRW has prices from the late 80s on their website last I checked. Call and you get zinged with the real prices...

Keyword "DRW" got me to the thread I was searching for. THanks for that tip.

Question: Why would racers want a cheap steel wheel? They just beat them up and want to beat them and then toss them?

Or have lots of differnt rubber already mounted?

Thx.

Tj

I'm using a version of Diamond's 13" spun steel wheels for auto-x. It's a very light setup, but you do have to be very careful when mounting tires due to their fragility. I also just picked up some 15x8 steelies (25 lbs each) that will probably last until even after the cockroaches are dead!

I was under the impression that steel wheels were tougher than cast/forged aluminum wheels. Of course it comes down to design of the wheel and quality of the materials. I always figured cop cars use steelies so that if they have to run curbs, the rims won't shatter. I think they can take more abuse and survive.

Steel bends, aluminium chips and cracks. A cop bodyshop can straighten a bent steel rim with a blowtorch and a hammer, but a cracked Ali rim is so much scrap going out with the beer cans to the smelter.

Thats why tractors don't come with alloys!

I was under the impression that steel wheels were tougher than cast/forged aluminum wheels. Of course it comes down to design of the wheel and quality of the materials. I always figured cop cars use steelies so that if they have to run curbs, the rims won't shatter. I think they can take more abuse and survive.

If you build a steel wheel for strength it will end up being very heavy. Cop cars don't use spun shells on their wheels, they use heavy steel wheels. Racing steel wheels are usually .095" thick and they don't tolerate a lot of abuse.

If you haven't ever seen it before, metal spinning is a real trip:

Edited by JMortensen

• 1 month later...

My idea of using plain steel wheels like the Diamond Racing Wheel on my Z is dashed after a nice conversation with DRW this morning. 17" DRWs are No Go. They don't make them. Too heavy and too thin material.

16x10 is the biggest they make and they are 25 pounds.

I can live with the weight, but.

Tires are the problem.

15" and 16" tires suitable for a 9" or 10" wide RIM are just slim pickings.

And finding a suitable matching brand for a stagger is worse.

So, maybe the 17" RB-R group buy wheels are in my future aftereall.

Tj