HybridZ

Help with drive train and axles

docaam

Hey guys, I have been reading all the differential threads and contacted some people as well, but being so far and with limited resources Im a bit lost somehow because of not having that much information about S30s and second very rare here as well.

I bought a 240Z without any engine, gearbox, drivetrain, diff, axles and brakes and got it shipped to dubai. Car reached here two weeks back, I have seen the market for parts engine, gearbox is not an issue at all (I am tied between RB25DET or VQ35DE). My main problem is I cant find anything stock either its Axles, CV joints or R180/R200 differential from Zs.

The things I can source are newer model parts only from Armada, Q45 differential, STi's R180 with shafts and axle can be arranged as well. I also found some people who install (lots of cutting and weld in body) R200 shortnose R32 differential in the S30, but just heard as its in a different city.

So for me I need to know where to start from and what should I get from the scrape yard Q45 differential/Armada or Sti and get some mouting kits from MMM or Arizona but then whats the best solution to complete the whole rear end CV joints and axles, as thats the main problem I am finding.

Second question is can a 350Z R200 short nose can be fitted in S30 chassis, as if I go for VQ swap I am planning to get a full car from junk yard and take things out from it if needed.

I will appreciate some help on these issues.

If you're going to upgrade the engine why not the drivetrain as well? R180 parts are probably scarce on the market because people just junk them.

The short nose swap doesn't have lots of cutting but it isn't for the faint of heart either. Many have done it around here using different methods, and they're all pretty well documented. You can certainly buy the kit, but I imagine shipping will be painful. However, if you want the easier long nose swap, you'll probably have to ship in the CVs and whatnot so either way...

I would start off by just sourcing stock R200 diff and axles unless you are planing on drag racing the car on slicks and massive HP & Torque.

Stock R200 bits are very stout... I think you have missed a lot of diff swap threads in the drive train section, cause if it can be done, it's been covered here ....

If you're going to upgrade the engine why not the drivetrain as well? R180 parts are probably scarce on the market because people just junk them.

The short nose swap doesn't have lots of cutting but it isn't for the faint of heart either. Many have done it around here using different methods, and they're all pretty well documented. You can certainly buy the kit, but I imagine shipping will be painful. However, if you want the easier long nose swap, you'll probably have to ship in the CVs and whatnot so either way...

Thanks for the reply

As of now I as I said Im a bit lost, for which differential to go for, shipping is a big issue as well (minimum 500-800$ just for shipping).

So which R180 you are talking about, as I said lots of parts from Japan are here in junk but newer models only.

For me I just need an advice whats the maximum I can buy from here to do the swap it can be anything from sti to Q45 or even a R32 diff as want to avoid shipping as much as I can, and main lost point are the axles and CV joints :unsure:

I thought I should look into drivetrain after getting the diff?

I would start off by just sourcing stock R200 diff and axles unless you are planing on drag racing the car on slicks and massive HP & Torque.

Stock R200 bits are very stout... I think you have missed a lot of diff swap threads in the drive train section, cause if it can be done, it's been covered here ....

I have gone through lots of thread but Im sorry I think you missed my point here, I can't get any stock Z parts here from easily (very rare) either its the S30 or 280Zx or even the 300ZX, parts are there from Z33 onwards.

As of now I dont have anything on the car as well, so what could be the best starting point for diff and other bits?

My hp goals are +250whp

Edited by docaam

I can get any stock Z parts here from easily (very rare) either its the S30 or 280Zx or even the 300ZX, parts are there from Z33 onwards.

You said can but I think you meant can't.

This thread covers most of what you're asking about, I believe. http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

You said can but I think you meant can't.

This thread covers most of what you're asking about, I believe. http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

Thanks for the correction

I have gone through the thread, it does tell all the different differentials, I need a help in where to start from, cant get axle's as well. So what are the best options and what axle/Cv joints goes with which diff as honestly I was a bit lost there, as if you have something in the rear end then its a bit easier to upgrade but here its nothing

So anyone? I went to junkyeards here and I found these differentials here

R32 GTR

R32 GTS

06 Armada front diff

One guy had a 06 WRX diff as well

I saw R200 installation kits for Q45 (cant find) and Armada as well, techno guys are selling moustache bars for GTR diff, if i get those shipped from USA but still need help about shafts and axle assembly?

• 1 month later...

The Techno Toy kit uses the short nose R200 from a 1990-1996 Q45; very easy to source. The Techno Toy kit also solves your rear brake problem and uses all the brake components from the same year Infinity. I'm sure even the parking brakes can be made to work although I haven't tackled this part of my project yet.