HybridZ

Z Specialties LSD Conversion

Cannonball89

I am going to put some sort of LSD in my 240z over this winter. My first choice is the Subaru STI R180, with John Coffey's side axles. I figure that swap will cost between $800 and $1000 ($500 for the side axles, and anywhere from $300-$500 for the differential itself). While browsing Z Specialties site today I saw that they now sell and LSD conversion kit for the open R180, for $350. This would probably be a cheaper solution, even though I would probably pay someone to install it into my differential (the instructions look somewhat intimidating). What I don't know is if this would be nearly as good as an STI LSD. I haven't found any reviews of it, and the Z Specialties site doesn't really tell you what kind of LSD it is, other than a statement saying there are "no clutch discs to wear out" so it is obviously not a clutch LSD. The picture looks like one of the Phantom Grip unit's I have seen. I'm sure some of you can I.D. it from the picture below.

So what are your thoughts on this? Is it worth $350, or should I just look around for an STI Diff and get on the side axle group buy list.

Here is the link: http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1569

post-10222-017777100 1320518261_thumb.jpg

It was in the last few months. I went on the NASIO site and it was sitting there in the classifieds.I couldn't believe how clean it was-inside and out!~ It was a 3.90 ratio. I didn't care about ratio that much because later on I can just swap out, trade, buy another Subby LSD with a different ration. This is a much better deal than being stuck with 3.7 in the r200. I don't know how to change gearing or install a LSD unit---but I can swap out a diff!!!!

Yea I don't think phantom grip is the way I want to go... there might not be any clutch disks to wear out... but instead your wearing the spider gears and the case... not an improvment in my eyes.

I will look into powerbrute, cusco, and kaaz, but I think a factory suburu LSD is going to be better for a street car.

I don't want a 3.90 diff, with my turbo it will be faster with the 3.54 diff, and I want a clutch over a helical, so as far as I know I am limited to the 2006 STI diff. I haven't seen what the newer 2009-2011 cars have yet, but I think 2006 is the only year that will work.