HybridZ

Some video from the weekend

josh817

Got back from Texas World Speedway this weekend. Same Z that's always there but he was kicking some major ass this time, first place! He always use to be behind 3 or 4 faster Porsche's but this weekend he did great. We went to visit him as usual during lunch and he said he put in a better fitting seat but the main thing that got him to the front was that his heat shield wasn't port matched to his head/intake manifold! His particular shield, granted I didn't see it, but from the way he described it bolts between the head and the intake manifold. They were basically restricting the motor from breathing up where he has his power.

Vintage racing, instead of listing what you can't do it's easier to say "whatever rules they ran that year for SCCA" 1972-and older. The exception being three later 1980's (I think) Formula Atlantic cars that get tossed in with Formula Fords. Strict group as far as what you can run, authenticity, and consequences for misbehavior, but very welcoming and fun. Some very rare and very expensive cars play in this club.

It's not that big of a straight. :P They don't go on the oval part. We just happened to be put right on the end of the straight where they dive into a sweeping left. Everyone is pretty good except for A-Prod... they always slide off and make a mess.

29mile.gif

I was stationed at Corpus Christi back in 91 [if memory serves me] for my multi engine training and was able to attend a track event there when they first reopened it. Had a blast and remember very distinctly coming off the oval onto the infield course that left turn-which almost took my z...

Wasn't until a few years ago that they cleared that area out if you went off track. Use to be filled with rocks that would mess you up pretty good if you decided to go agricultural. The problem with that corner, well only for corner workers, is that when people go off they drop into that area so you can't see anything but the roof of the car; can't tell if the driver is ok. The oval to in-field transition is kind of ugly in some spots too. If you hit it wrong the ass end is going to squirm, especially for the Porsches.

The only other nasty bit of the track is turn 13, that last zig-zag before you get onto the oval. If you over do it you more then likely end up in the center of the track facing in a direction less than desirable. For old British cars, mainly Triumphs, it claims axles from the sudden change in loads. My dad broke several axles there until he designed a solution. BMW 2002's have the same axle-breaking-wheel-flying-away problem in that area. Haven't heard anything about Z's dying that way, yet. :bonk:

Edited by josh817