HybridZ

Storing bare metal car for winter? Rust prevention...

alexandermwick

So time has come for me to move out to Colorado for the winter and I'm leaving the Z in my parents garage in Chicago. I didn't get as far as I wanted to this summer, though I did pretty much completely strip the car down to bare metal. There is still a lot of body work to get done on the car, and is not completely ready for primer. Unfortunately I've ran out of time as I'm leaving in two days.

So what can be done to properly store the car in the garage this winter?

My backup idea is to put a single coat of primer across all the bare metal, but then next summer I'll have to go back to sanding that all off again. (Wouldn't be as hard, but I'd rather not start over again)

So any suggestions as quickly as possible would be a HUGE help. laugh.gif

Thanks!!

I kept my car in bare metal for over a year as I screwed around with different parts of the suspension. There was surprisingly little surface rust at the end. Very very little. And this was in a non-climate controlled garage with crappy insulation in Seattle. I did run a propane heater when I worked out in the garage, which I was told would cause condensation and make the rust worse, never happened (at least not to any appreciable degree). When I went to move I thought I had to drive the car through the rain, so I sprayed it down with WD-40, and that worked just fine. I was told that paint would never stick to it again, but I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and acetone, and when I painted it I had no trouble. Turns out it was dry for the short time that I moved the car from the old house to the new house.

I have a local painter who insists the I spray bare metal media blasted cars with WD40 if they are going to be painted by him. He said it comes off real easy (per Jon's example above) compared to the primer and epoxy painted cars most people bring him.