HybridZ

Ever been unsure of what to do about a project?

Okimoto

A long time ago I somehow came into possession of an early 70 z car, one of the first two thousand off the line. From the looks of it, it seemed like a great car.... but the more I dug into it, the bigger the problems; rust in the rear deck, trans mount, some cracks in the floor pan, etc. I took a year of tig welding and started the long process of learning from all of you here; stepping on the shoulders of giants, so to speak.

Fast forward a few years and I'm currently residing in australia. Come back home for the week to say goodbye to a dying family member and the family seizes the opportunity and guilt/'suggests' that I get rid of the z car. I'm a bit hung up on this one, On one hand, I dont even live in the same country and could see their concerns. On the other hand, I kind of liked the z car even though I probably won't be able to get around to fixing it up in this lifetime. It's been suggested that I call the scrap metal yard to take it away as I "don't have the time" to sell it.

Do you guys ever keep a project even when you know there's no chance of getting it done? Would you just call the scrap metal guys to take it away? or would you fight for keeping it in case of the odd chance you win the lotto.

So... how many of you have a car sitting somewhere, in a situation where you pretty much know that you're not going to get it done.

Edited by Okimoto

Ship it to AU and finish it off. It's probably old enough to be legally driven on AU roads in it's present left hand drive configuration although the resale here will not be as good as if it was 'normal'.

All of which does not answer your question :)

From a rational viewpoint, sell the car. You can use the money to buy another one later in your life. You can take pictures and sell it via e-mail easily. Just leave the signed title with a trusted family member.

From an emotional viewpoint, ship the car to Oz or tell your family to shut up and let you keep something you love.

i am constantly unsure on my projects...i have a '62 continental sitting in my drive i bought in '03... it still sits and i move it areound. As it stands my 240z was my mothers car that my grandmother co-signed for in '72 my dad took it from her when they got divorced in '84 so she could have the station wagon he drove it till '91 parked it and always said he would get around to building it up...five or six years ago he called me up and told me to take it i immediatly started to go to work on it then it became too much work. i covered it up in the garage and ignored for a couple of years then I parked it on my father in laws property under a cover under a carport for the last year. When he called me and said to come get it off his land i reluctantly did but now that i have it home the z addiction is going full blown. Keep the car. Eventually you will get around to it, if not give it to a son or nephew for a project of their own... or just sell it to one of us :)im sure we will find space for one more car in the driveway.

For what it's worth, I'm paying nearly $200 every month so my Z can sit in storage while I live and work in another hemisphere for an as-yet-unspecified amount of time...

(Like just about everything else related to this car, it's a lousy financial (rational) decision. Emotionally, I don't regret it at all.)

Sell it.

There are lots more cars out there. If you have a strong emotional attachment, then bring it with you (where ever you live) and fix it and drive it. There are way too many cars sitting rotting in peoples driveways, sheds/barn and back fields with intentions to "someday" fix it up. Learn to let go.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do with the car.