HybridZ

Interesting Strut Inserts

I was taking the suspension apart on my new 240z last night and found these inserts.

strut.JPG

They're Koni's, but I've never heard anyone mention strut cartridges with the gland nut integral to the cart. From what I know about the car, it had some performance work done to it in the early 70's, but has been parked since 1976. Anyone ever seen these before? The only similar ones I can find online seem to be for Porsches, but that isn't terribly surprising since they fit quite loosely in the strut housing.

Just curious if anyone recognized these or had any information on them. The part number stamping is very very light and hard/impossible to read.

Edited by zero

I was taking the suspension apart on the new car last night and the gland nuts were proving to be a bear to loosen. After wrestling with them a bit, I finally got them loose to discover these inserts. They're Koni's, but I've never heard anyone mention strut cartridges with the gland nut integral to the cart. From what I know about the car, it had some performance work done to it in the early 70's, but has been parked since 1976. Anyone ever seen these before? The only similar ones I can find online seem to be for Porsches, but that isn't terribly surprising since they fit quite loosely in the strut housing.

strut.JPG

Just thought I'd share.

I'm assuming the new car your referring to is a new Z to you, that you just picked up? Otherwise this is very difficult to understand what your talking about.

Yes you are correct and I edited for clarity. This is a new car to me, and from what I know of its history, it hasn't run since 1976. I came across these struts in the car, and have never seen or heard of anything like them, and was wondering if anyone had any information on them. They fit very loosely in the housing, which leads me believe they aren't 8610/8611.

Edited by zero

They're Koni's, but I've never heard anyone mention strut cartridges with the gland nut integral to the cart.

Do you mean integral to the strut insert? "Cart" makes no sense. Are you sure the gland nut isn't just stuck to the top of the insert?

Another picture, pulled back to show more of the insert would be interesting.

Just doing some grammar policing...

I'll take another photo tonight.

Sorry if I've got my terminology wrong, but I thought that 'insert' and 'cartridge' were used interchangeably so I just abbreviated cartridge.

In any case, I am pretty sure that the nut is part of the insert.

That said, I did a little more research and may have answered my own question. They appear to be very early Koni adjustables. According to JohnC's site.

"The Koni 86-1811/1812 series is the classic Koni twin tube hydraulic adjustable shock that's been used on the S30 cars since the 1970s. All Koni shocks are rebuildable and revalveable by dozens of shops around the world."

According to these sites they came with and without integral gland nuts.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/303844-strut-pains-2.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/5947647-post1.html