HybridZ

venturi tubes?

luseboy

Well I was just looking at the exhaust section on summit and found this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCI-PSE250/. I've never heard of these before but I was looking at the venturi effect on wikipedia and it kinda makes sense. That said though, it smells of snake oil to me. Thoughts? I did see a thread somewhere on here (can't remember where) talking about how the japanese have gotten their L series engines to push 400 hp, and there was talk of something similar inside the muffler. So would this add any power? I highly doubt it... but not enough for me to not be curious about it. Who's got some real info on this?

The idea works and is the basis for merge collectors that I install on racing L6 exhaust systems:

gallery_95_794_23972.jpg

But it is ABSOLUTELY NOT a one size fits all modification. Engine displacement, cam, head flow, header design, etc. are all important considerations when designing a merge collector. Done right and you can improve mid-range and/or top end full throttle power without affecting the rest of the power band. Done wrong and you will reduce power across the board, create a big flat spot in the power band, or help mid-range and kill top end power. The item you link to above is basically a restriction in the exhaust pipe and not worth spending a dime on.

The item you link to above is basically a restriction in the exhaust pipe and not worth spending a dime on.

Exactly.

The venturi effect is not used, nor desired, in exhaust design. A venturi is a restriction. The collector Jon posted takes advantage of the tuning effect caused by a "megaphone" in the exhaust. Take a look at the exhaust sticky, PM me if you have questions after digesting it (and turkey!).

The thread I posted about the thing in the muffler, later on I posted saying it was most likely just a device that was used to reduce noise because after all some of those cars are road worthy. :bonk: Wish I could go back and change some things in there so people aren't mislead. I was basically splurging all the information I found.

Edited by josh817