HybridZ

L28et motor swap with no turbo in 76 280z

280zmn

Ok hybridz world I'm planning on buying a l28et. The p90 head and f54 block but no turbo with it.I'm planning on turboing it but later. It supposedly has 35k miles. Is it just s straight swap? Can I use the 76 efi sensor harness ecu starter alternator 4 speed tranny dizzy and all that? Or what will I have to change to make the swap work.. And also anything I need to look for when going to see the motor it's already out and everything... Thank you

my favorite little factoid is that after you drain the oil, to fill it up with a gallon of deisel in place of the oil(with the old oil filter). and let it run for 10 minutes. itll get all that 30 year old engine junk out and clean everything up real nice. then drain it and look how nasty colored it is. yeah, you would have left all that in there to mix with your new oil.

my favorite little factoid is that after you drain the oil, to fill it up with a gallon of deisel in place of the oil(with the old oil filter). and let it run for 10 minutes. itll get all that 30 year old engine junk out and clean everything up real nice. then drain it and look how nasty colored it is. yeah, you would have left all that in there to mix with your new oil.

This sounds like a really bad idea. I'd say it's a good way to ruin your bearings and camshaft.

Yeah, that diesel fuel treatment is a great way to spin bearings and wipe cams. Also, you MUST use an L28ET dizzy on an L28ET, unless you change the distributor drive shaft. Unless you change the shaft, and the distributor, you MUST use an L28ET harness and computer. your factory 76 computer WILL NOT work with it.

So, drop the oil pump, swap the drive spindle, swap the distributor, and then you can run the 7.4:1 compression L28ET in place of an 8.3:1 compression L28E.

If you can't tell, I am not exactly recommending this plan. You also will NOT be real happy with turbocharging the motor on the stock 76 computer. It does not play nice, and is not exactly modifiable.

Your stock transmission, starter, and engine mounts will work. You will need to check your clutch engagement, and be sure that you can fully engage/disengage your clutch. This is dependant on the transmission, flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, and throwout bearing collar.

Edited by Xnke

My little bit of wisdom if "factoid" is usually grossly misused, as people misunderstand the original meaning of the word was meant to convey false information presented as true.

It's refreshing to see it almost applied correctly here.

Cut you oil with diesel, maybe. Run straight fuel oil in place of lubricating oil? Not on your life.

I dirtied X's comments elsewhere...