HybridZ

240z harmonic balancer/ Crank pulley

Cutlass372

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a crank pulley for my 1972 240z. The rubber is worn out and the pulley is starting to slip. I'm looking for a good used one that isn't all dry rotted or beat up like mine. I think the poor condition of my pulley is causing driveability issues such as overheating and cutting out on the top end(alternator isn't outputting enough due to the slip). I don't have a lot of money to spend on this, but I need this car to get to school and for daily driving. If someone has anything that could help me out, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is cutlass375@yahoo.com or you can contact me from here or PM's.

Thanks for all your help

Elliot

driveability issues such as overheating and cutting out on the top end(alternator isn't outputting enough due to the slip).

That would be a smokin' amount of slippage. Do you smell burnt rubber?

You could confirm slipped damper rubber by checking the timing mark with TDC. Even easier, just see if the timing mark is close. If your damper rubber was slipping, the mark wouldn't even be visible. There's probably something else going on. When did you last replace and/or tighten the belt?

I don't recall smelling anything that strange, but the fuel smell kind of masks things. The rubber between the balancer is really chewed up though and is falling out the front of the balancer. I feel that at higher rpms the pulley starts to slip some and gives me some overheating problems and alternator can't keep up. This is also just a theory and im sure there are other problems as well, but the fact that the rubber is almost non-existant can't be helping much. Is the 280z balancer the same as a 240z aside from the number of pulleys? Won't the timing marks be off? I have a pulley from a 280zxt, but im not sure if everything would be correct for the L24(as well as added weight). I tightened the belt not too long ago, but haven't replaced it since i purchased the car(doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape). Let me know what you have.

Elliot

Edited by Cutlass372

This MSA product description suggests that the dampers are interchangeable but you'll need to do some work to get the timing marks right.

http://www.thezstore.com - search the word "damper" and read the special note. Or just call MSA.

I believe that your L24 has the degree marks on the pulley, with a single pointer on the block, whereas the 280Zs and ZXes have a single notch on the pulley, with the degree marks on the pointer, mounted on the block.

Good luck.