HybridZ

Aftermarket Foam Dash Replacement

Challenger

So this was originally going to be a thread about whether anyone had looked into foam dash panels being made but then I did some research and found some.

Anyone seen these before or used them? If I understand this correctly what they make is just the foam and vinyl that attaches to the dash framing itself?

Im going to send them (see below) an email.

Edited by Challenger

I called justdashes a two months ago and asked on process and pricing. Just as the link shows the process, I was told they approach it with a Thermo Vacuum Forming process and warranty it for one year. This is from their literature: "Just Dashes uses a closed cell high density polyethylene foam in combination with a thicker gauge (.045) vinyl that makes for a superior quality part, better then the original."

I was told a price of $1500, and as much as $1700 for an extra gauge or two pcket added.

^^ Yeah, the only downfall to paying $800-$1000 for a mint nos dash is the inevitable deteriation from the different materials outgassing.

But hey, what are you gonna do? (A) dash cap, cheapest in price and visual fix(my opinion). (B)Fix the dash using SEM products and take your chances © With some luck find a new old stock dash for $$$. (D) Just dashes method for big dollars. Or hope that one of the companies that have previously showed interest in our old cars actually comes through and offers said items including the dash in fiberglass/carbon fiber. I am begining to become pesimistic on the last option as time ticks by.

dash3.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash1.jpg

Alright, I pulled off my vinyl to see what was underneath. The front was pretty nice but the top was awful.

Im looking at filling in the cracks with RTV sealant, something nice and flexible. Im not sure what Ill do to the rest of the "burnt" looking foam since its really flakey. Im gonna look into how hard it would be to vaccum mold a piece of vinyl onto the foam core.

I was thinking of fiberglassing in the underside of the dash but at this point that might be a bad idea because then it wouldnt be able to stretch if the dash is twisted.

Anyone know where to get a big sheet of vinyl?

Heres one for $60..

Edited by Challenger

Gothalosism, I'm thinking more along the line of hard vinyl like the original, not the vinyl you can get at a fabric store. Maybe I should still try that, I'm just concerned about wrinkles.

Also no fake cf on my car. Haha. I looked on their website, what is it actually made out of? Looks interesting.

Edited by Challenger