HybridZ

1972 240z Beast

Finally starting a build thread. I have three Datsuns. Two of them are 260z and one is a 240z. This thread will be on the 240z.

I picked one of the 260's and the 240 as rollers for $500. I chose to work on the 240z because I like the rear lights better and the typical rust areas are not as bad on it. It has a flawless dash, i haven't found any cracks on it. The extra tire compartment has absolutely no rust, and there seems to only be some minor surface rust on the floor pans. It doesn't have an engine but the 2nd 260z does, which i'm going to pull and drop in the 240z for now. Im gonna get that running till i can get everything i need for the VQ35DE swap.

Here she is along the new school, Still has the Blue and yellow license plates, hard to see from this angle.

6512979671_b12321b93c_b.jpg

Stripped it down a little.

6512978867_383dec126a_b.jpg

took of some insulation from the passenger floor pan.

6512983161_f3dd817f6a_b.jpg

could it really be? it says 9,934 miles!?

6512982457_1b1fdbe6df_b.jpg

Driver floor

6512981703_dda43f6238_b.jpg

RR tower, im confused about this, i grinded it down a bit thinking it was just gunk on it, but looks like someones done some welding on it. I have no idea why.

Maybe it was bent or cracked? any ideas?

6512980351_b70aa60ddd_b.jpg

The RL seems fine

6512981043_d37cbbe66e_b.jpg

6512979273_0324a25457_b.jpg

i do have the fenders, hood and valance but they all are gonna get replaced. Seems like it might have been hit in the front right of the car. Ill take pics of that later.

6512977429_018ae24ccd_b.jpg

Well thats it for now.

Edited by santanawhite

I would kill to have started with such a great car. When I bought my car it had 5 different coats of paint on it and a cookie sheet for a driver's floorpan, held in with caulk. Nice purchase!!!

I would KILL for a cookie sheet to cover that hole! :P

Good luck man, looks like you got your work cut out for you, cookie cut? But for only $500 I suppose it's hard to complain.

Nice clean car. The RL tower appears to have some welding on top of the tower support. I may be wrong... But that doesn't look like a factory weld. With the tar on the floors I had good luck with a chisel and a hammer. In tough spots, I used a heat gun as well. It took me about 2 weeks of a couple hours a day to get all the tar off haha. 9,934 miles seems too good to be true... Especially if it has no engine. I'd bet that it has been tinkered with or the odo has turned over to 0. My shell had 80,500 miles on the odo but it sat for most of it's life and only had 2 owners when the car was running, so I believe it to be true. Anyways, nice car! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! What are your plans besides the future VQ swap?

Edited by luseboy

Is it a clean title? could be the cause of the damage up front and the RR strut tower.

I'm not sure what the title of this car is, i forgot to mention this. All i got was a bill of sale from the person i bought it from. He said the cars came from Georgia and the law there is that vehicles older than 86 don't require a title. I asked about the cali plates and he said that's how he bought them, he had a total of 5 and i bought the 2 off of him for $500. Ive yet to go to the DMV to try and register it. I wonder if it will be a big issue. He also gave me a notarized document stating since its from Georgia it did not have a title.

Nice clean car. The RL tower appears to have some welding on top of the tower support. I may be wrong... But that doesn't look like a factory weld. With the tar on the floors I had good luck with a chisel and a hammer. In tough spots, I used a heat gun as well. It took me about 2 weeks of a couple hours a day to get all the tar off haha. 9,934 miles seems too good to be true... Especially if it has no engine. I'd bet that it has been tinkered with or the odo has turned over to 0. My shell had 80,500 miles on the odo but it sat for most of it's life and only had 2 owners when the car was running, so I believe it to be true. Anyways, nice car! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! What are your plans besides the future VQ swap?

Yeah probably right, its too good to be true. I'm gonna get the Rota 17" Stagger package for the car, ZG flares, Custom fuel lines, custom fuel tank, custom surge tank, Tokico struts, GC coil-overs, Camber plates, Dual exhaust in similar fashion to 350z or single exhaust with electronic cutout :), Austins Shifter re-locator, Custom Speedhut Gauges, 1" wilwood brake master cylinder, new booster, Red interior, with dark grey exterior (Cyber gray or Graphite grey pearl) New weatherstripping, Poly urethane bushings, AZC wilwood brake conversion. Rear diffuser, custom engine mount, tranny mount. Not sure which rear diff ill use yet. There's a lot more. Ill keep updating.

Pictures are better,

also modify the Flares so that they blend in better with the air dam. Like so...

6514748523_47938fcc52_z.jpg

Basically this stance, same wheels also.

6514783571_cda2d3c83f_b.jpg

If i can get my hands on a Competition hood scoop ill add that in.

6514783661_ecbdc0b8c3_z.jpg

And a custom Dual Exhaust with Rear diffuser ( I Photoshopped this )

6514783593_6d1b5b7faf_z.jpg

sorry if i used any members photos, i love your rides!

Edited by santanawhite

Yeah probably right, its too good to be true. I'm gonna get the Rota 17" Stagger package for the car, ZG flares, Custom fuel lines, custom fuel tank, custom surge tank, Tokico struts, GC coil-overs, Camber plates, Dual exhaust in similar fashion to 350z or single exhaust with electronic cutout :), Austins Shifter re-locator, Custom Speedhut Gauges, 1" wilwood brake master cylinder, new booster, Red interior, with dark grey exterior (Cyber gray or Graphite grey pearl) New weatherstripping, Poly urethane bushings, AZC wilwood brake conversion. Rear diffuser, custom engine mount, tranny mount. Not sure which rear diff ill use yet. There's a lot more. Ill keep updating.

Pictures are better,

also modify the Flares so that they blend in better with the air dam. Like so...

6514748523_47938fcc52_z.jpg

Basically this stance, same wheels also.

6514783571_cda2d3c83f_b.jpg

If i can get my hands on a Competition hood scoop ill add that in.

6514783661_ecbdc0b8c3_z.jpg

And a custom Dual Exhaust with Rear diffuser ( I Photoshopped this )

6514783593_6d1b5b7faf_z.jpg

sorry if i used any members photos, i love your rides!

Sounds like a pretty good start. Might I suggest some things first.

Rather than getting camber plates, get adjustable LCA's from techno toy tuning (buy your coilovers through them too), or AZC if you want a show car that won't see track time. You can get more camber than you'd ever want on the street out of adjustable LCA's, plus you get toe adjustment, and if you go with the TTT (I plan to), you can position the rear wheel in the wheel well the way you want it, so it's not so far forward like it is stock. The GC coilover set up is very high quality. I'm in the middle of putting the fronts on my car with sectioned strut tubes and illuminas for the rear of an mr2. Electronic cut out would be cool! I was thinking of doing it for my car but decided it was a waste of money for me. Make sure you read up on poly bushings, some of them, such as the T/C rod bushings, are not ideal for performance. I would recommend going with the TTT adjustable T/C rods instead of using poly bushings as they use a teflon coated rod-end instead of a bushing which takes the slop out and makes the rod much more effective. Plus you can then adjust caster which the front suspension on a Z lacks. I like the red interior, always been my favorite color for interiors, and mine was originally, so I am putting in a red interior as well. MSA (thezstore.com) sells some good reproduction interior pieces which are awesome and will go into my car! Let me know what diffuser you find to fit, I want to put one on my car. And honestly... the AZC brake kit isn't really worth it if you ask me. It seems like you want a show car, so that makes sense. But if you're just looking for a fun car, I'd save your money and get the vented front toyota 4 piston calipers and a 240sx rear disk conversion from modern motorsport. Use the money you saved to beef up your rear end and maybe do a cv conversion. That vq is gonna pump out some torque... and a stronger rear diff/axles will really save you some headaches in the future. Have fun with registration... my car has a lot of back fees that I'm still saving up for haha.

Sounds like a pretty good start. Might I suggest some things first.

Rather than getting camber plates, get adjustable LCA's from techno toy tuning (buy your coilovers through them too), or AZC if you want a show car that won't see track time. You can get more camber than you'd ever want on the street out of adjustable LCA's, plus you get toe adjustment, and if you go with the TTT (I plan to), you can position the rear wheel in the wheel well the way you want it, so it's not so far forward like it is stock. The GC coilover set up is very high quality. I'm in the middle of putting the fronts on my car with sectioned strut tubes and illuminas for the rear of an mr2. Electronic cut out would be cool! I was thinking of doing it for my car but decided it was a waste of money for me. Make sure you read up on poly bushings, some of them, such as the T/C rod bushings, are not ideal for performance. I would recommend going with the TTT adjustable T/C rods instead of using poly bushings as they use a teflon coated rod-end instead of a bushing which takes the slop out and makes the rod much more effective. Plus you can then adjust caster which the front suspension on a Z lacks. I like the red interior, always been my favorite color for interiors, and mine was originally, so I am putting in a red interior as well. MSA (thezstore.com) sells some good reproduction interior pieces which are awesome and will go into my car! Let me know what diffuser you find to fit, I want to put one on my car. And honestly... the AZC brake kit isn't really worth it if you ask me. It seems like you want a show car, so that makes sense. But if you're just looking for a fun car, I'd save your money and get the vented front toyota 4 piston calipers and a 240sx rear disk conversion from modern motorsport. Use the money you saved to beef up your rear end and maybe do a cv conversion. That vq is gonna pump out some torque... and a stronger rear diff/axles will really save you some headaches in the future. Have fun with registration... my car has a lot of back fees that I'm still saving up for haha.

Dang back fees....i hope i dont have many. ill have to sell one of the 260z if its a lot. Thanks for the suggestions, ill look into them. Going for a fun car with a little bit of show.