HybridZ

help identifing a Garrett turbocharger and possible use on l28et

Nhuwar

I got a Garrett turbocharger from a friend and I know nothing about it. It has heat 44 on the compressor housing. And Garrett of course. It was off a Detroit diesel. I'm going to try and find some more info on it today. The turbine housing has a 3 inch v band connection on the output. I think the turbine input flange is a t4 but I have not measured it.

Thanks for the help.

Nick

Edited by Nhuwar

Ok I've got some more info off the turbo. The model number seems to be TJ 0102 L on the tag. On the compressor housing its mark ar .50 m10 and o/y. Over searched these number but haven't came up with anything. Oh and I check the exhaust flange and it is a t4. There is no internal waste gate either.

Any ideas?

ok I'm thinking its a t04b.

thanks,

Nick

Edited by Nhuwar

Ok so Im trying to get the turbine housing off.I have it soaking in atf and kroil over night. I have take off the comporessor housing. The compressor wheel has not made contact with the compressor housing so this might be rebuildable. The odd think is these in no o ring on the compressor housing. Is thins a garrett thing?

Thanks,

Nick

Anaerobic Sealants are more reliable on step-rabbet fit machined surfaces than any composition gasket-or O-Ring ever could be...

If there is leakage at all! Metal-to-Metal will keep low pressure air contained pretty handily. In fact, when you get into High Pressure Helium (smallest molecules, easiest to leak) almost exclusively metal-to-metal or metal crush gaskets are utilized as they are the only thing that will stop the leakage!

Anaerobic Sealants are more reliable on step-rabbet fit machined surfaces than any composition gasket-or O-Ring ever could be...

If there is leakage at all! Metal-to-Metal will keep low pressure air contained pretty handily. In fact, when you get into High Pressure Helium (smallest molecules, easiest to leak) almost exclusively metal-to-metal or metal crush gaskets are utilized as they are the only thing that will stop the leakage!

Hence why they use heilium to leak check vacuum chambers. Ill just make sure the mating surfaces are very clean after I rebuild her.

Nick

Try hydrogen,LOL. I used to work with high pressure water electrolyzers.

Scarey when you think about it. And these things went on submarines.

Small atoms, itty bitty spaces.

Edited by Nhuwar

ouch! No thanks. My friend wants to run a car on hydrogen. I fixed him up with an electrolyzer that can produce 1.8 liters per minute. I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that. As you mentioned, h2 embrittlment. Ordered a rebuild kit today. I took a gamble since I'm not 100% sure that this turbo is what I think it is. It spins ok and it doesn't look like the turbine or the compressor fan rubbed anywhere. There is a little radial play in the shaft though. But its slight. I finally got off the exhaust scroll but I can't get the it loose on the compressor yet. I poured some atf on it and I will try again tomorrow.

nick

Ok so I found out exactly what this turbo is now. Its a to4e02. Does anyone have any info on this unit? Also the thing had been sitting in a garage for awhile and there was junk built up on the compressor wheel. I was able to clean most of it off by putting it in a ultrasonic cleaner with some soap in it. There is a little bit of corrossion on it too. WIll this be a problem when I take it to get balanced?

It was off of a 2.6 liter diesel. Im guessing it probably wont work to well for a high proformance engine?

It has an a/r of .50 on the compressor and .41 for the turbine.These numbers seem pretty small to me. T'll probably have to put somehing bigger on the wont I?

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nhuwar

The inducer of the ompressor is a tad under 3" the exducer is 2". The turbine sides excuser is a 3" v band connection and the inducer flange is a t4, so what ever the dimensions are for that. I am going to put a new scroll on the turbine side though, with a higher a/r.

nick