HybridZ

P79 and fuel pump

mpresley

I’m assuming since you want the mechanical pump you are going with the carb set up? if you go with a stock 280 pump you will need a regulator with a bypass to keep the pump cool but you would probably be better off with a holly blue or something similar with a deadhead regulator. but as hero said i belive on the 240 Pass side there is a mounting spot an i think the wireing is there too, but it would be under the carpet, Green wire i think?

I did this on my p79 head I run the mechanical to feed my SU's and a booster pump near the tank which I only run when I'm on the highway or feeling frisky B) .

Drill it out and run it, don't forget the oliptical washer and bolt on the cam to run the fuel pump.

Why not just use a timing cover from an early model?

The mechanical Fuel pump attaches to the cylinder head not the timing cover. I believe the only difference in the timing covers is the timing degree marks and distributor mount both which are interchangeable.

I've done this also. Just had to be very careful to keep all aluminum shavings out of the engine. I actually did mine with the head on a bench and all of the valvetrain tightly wrapped and taped. Took a big drill bit to make some pilot holes and enlarged it with a Dremel until the fuel pump arm fit through with no interference. It works just fine. I'm running overbored SUs with no problems except for vapor lock in the summer, so eventually it will get an electric pump back by the tank too.

Braap did that on my head but I found out mechanical pump was not able to keep up...

Before

post-3327-095126100 1326280286_thumb.jpg

After

post-3327-032535200 1326280289_thumb.jpg

Thank you for help. I have head off and am going to take it to machine shop so particles won't be a problem.

I have triple webbers but don't think I will put them on since I would like to get more than 10 mpg.

Thank you for help. I have head off and am going to take it to machine shop so particles won't be a problem.

I have triple webbers but don't think I will put them on since I would like to get more than 10 mpg.

Don't think of it as "MPG", think of it as number of laps. ;)