HybridZ

...and so it begins again!!! NEW Z BABY!

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so i find this '78 280 in ATL, actually it's got 4 other siblings with it. 1 '76 280 that runs with a little little rust on the front fender, a '78 280 with no engine that was just RECENTLY PAINTED and no rust anywhere, 2 '72 240 parts cars, and a '74 260 parts car!!! i am soooo pumped to get it! i'm thinking the '78 with no engine would suit my needs the best, so i'm driving out there to tow my new baby home in 2 weeks. now comes the question: i need to find a 350 that won't give me the headaches the last one did. also, a tranny would probably be helpful. so where would i go to find one? i'm guessing some sort of rebuilt engine would be best, but i kinda want FI so i don't have to mess with the carb. which is better FI or carb'd? thanks.

and: if anyone knows where i can pick up a t-56 for cheap, let me know!

Dan,

The two places I know to find T56s are:

Billy Graham's

HP Salvage

I haven't been able to find anything locally, except for a pretty good deal from a contact at GM. $3500 for the works, new from the factory. The used ones usually run around $2000, but that's not cheap in my books, that's why I'm going Auto.

Tim

Buyer beware with T56 icon_sad.gif We've seen them go from the $700 to the $2K range here. Both of the ones I've gotten have had some problems with one being a near total loss. IF you buy a trans from a slavage yard either buy it from a well known one OR buy it locally. If you buy it local you might pay more but you'll have someone to throttle if it comes up lame. New prices in my neck of the woods for a T56 were $3K but I'm betting that was sans sensors and bellhousing icon_eek.gif Sensors no biggie, bellhousing would be good (ahem).

Engine, either a reputable local builder (the throttle thing again) or a well known mail order builder. Frankly, with what you've gone horugh I'd be seriously looking at a ZZ4 crate motor or one of th eother lower powered GM crate motors. They've got a WARRANTY and can be gotten from your local dealer etc. EFI is nice, this is true, but not really required. Maybe look at the RamJet 350? Not super high powered or cheap but it's EFI and ready to roll out of the box for the most part icon_smile.gif Congrats on the find!

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i'm still aiming for 310-320 hp so when i DO finally lay on the juice, it'll be crazy. but something under 300 just doesn't sound right. what do you think it would cost to have a 350 (preferrably no miles or recently rebuilt) with like 310 hp? if i have to go with the carb to afford it, so be it, but i want that damn power!! thanks.

btw: does anyone on this forum build engines? that might be a good deal waiting to happen...

Guest Anonymous

I'd check with chevy as well on crate motors if that power range is what your looking at. I can't recall which one, but Chevy has one thats right around 300 hp. Its cheaper to build yourself I'm thinking, but I used a cheaper crate motor and for what it is, it runs real nice, I've been real happy with it.

Before I paid 3K for a T56 I would have just gone 700R, for like 12-1300 bucks new rebuilt with a converter in the rod mags, hard to justify the T56 for that money at least for me. There are times when I wish I had gone auto to be truthfully honest, in traffic rowing thru gears is a pain in the butt, but at least its got torque to just leave in 2nd and roll in traffic. Oh well, good luck with the car.

Regards,

Lone

Just jump in at the deep end.....

Go to a wrecking yard and grab a short block and rebuild it yourself. It's really not that hard, but moneywise, you won't be that far ahead of the game. By getting a crate motor, you might save a little money, but if anyone has actually kept a good list of what it costs to rebuild a sbc with decent parts, with the machining etc, it really doesn't save much money compared to the basic crate motors (and that doesn't even count all the running around). I will always build my own because I think that 95% of the fun factor is the building up. I'm one of those people who would probably sell my Hybrid once it's done, just to get another and build it.

You can't go wrong with a crate engine, you can always add go fast stuff as you get $$$$ together.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Tim

well, i plan on getting the fast burn 385 hp gm crate engine from gm performance... ( look around in the dealer listings for the best price... ) about 4K for the engine with everything but exaust and carb.

4k, for a brand new 385 hp engine that you will have to spend very little time worrying about, that is money well spent in my opinion.

https://www.spoperformanceparts.com/

Just a side note - freshly rebuilt 440 Mopar in a charger was dynoed the other day at the shop. 139HP with torque much the same! At 2500RPM the power "fell off a cliff". They're now keeping tissues next to the dyno icon_smile.gif

Guy "built it myself" and it apparently really souned nasty at idle. Obviously something is WAY wrong with the motor but I'd sure hate to build something like that only to find out it made no power or worse. I wouldn't do a rebuild like that unless I had someone to hold my hand through the whole process...

This guy suspected something was wrong - geez I'd guess so! Mine goes on the dyno tonight, wish me luck!

Jim, I rebuilt a SBC when I was 17. It's NOT rocket science. Any fool can do a rebuild (if they read up on it alot before hand, like I did) and have it come out strong. The 327 that I built in high school that I put into my 70 Camaro kept pace with fast cars - even a 68 GT500 Shelby - until about 100 mph that is! The 327 was a bit hopped, I'll admit.

But 129hp on the dyno? Man he must have really screwed up. You sure the dyno was set up right?

I'm just saying I'm not an overly talented wrench and I've built strong motors ever since I was 17. It's NOT rocket science.

But the crate motors are enticing.

I just like doing all my own motor work and choosing all my own parts and inspecting, checking, etc. Just bought 0-6" .0001" micrometers, snap gages, and a dial bore gage. Talk about fun! Engine building is fun! Even more so when you have the right tools and know how to use them.

Amen Pete,

Also, when you put it together yourself, you are more likely to be able to troubleshoot problems down the road and fix it yourself, instead of paying some other 'rocket scientist' $$$$$$ to do it. Remember, once you know how, no one can take that away....knowledge and experience are KING.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

For the amount of horsepower you are after I would recommend a Chevy Crate motor. These engines are much better built than most engine builders for the amount of money you put out.I dont believe you can build a 300 horse motor any cheaper unless you already have the parts and you can do the machine work yourself.

One of these days I'll build one but not alone the first time icon_smile.gif As for the 440 Mopar, yeah it's really hosed. It was pulling fine until it got to the 2500RPM mark and then power just plummeted. I didn't see the graph but they said it was pretty weird. Got to be something like ignition or valvetrain IMO bu tignition issues usually show up in the graph. Once you've done it setting up a Dyno run is pretty easy. Hardest part is tying it down (shrug).

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I would have to say, that if your looking for 300 hp, wouldn't all you have to do is get a basic crate engine from chevy(mine was 1400), run electric fans, headers, and say a new cam, and then you have your hp. A cam switch with the engine out is a walk in the park, and it only adds like 100 more to your cost. I know that's what I did, before my heads, and it was easy. Just an idea.

On t-56's, I got mine for 1100 out of Houston. Just get on the phone, and start calling auto yards. They are a blast to drive, and if you decide you want an auto, I have a 700r4 with the shift kit, fresh rebuild, and everything. I'll make you a deal on it you probably couldn't refuse, presuming you would want to ship it up there. Just an idea, email me if your ineterested.

I want to build a engine, and it is my next job. Once I get out of school, i'm building a supercharged monster to go into my hybrid. I can't wait. I have several people tell me that chevy engines are so easy, you can rebuild them in your dorm room. I took my L26 apart and got yelled at for the smell of gas icon_smile.gif whooops. Anyway, if you like to tinker, build one yourself, because like the guys have said, once you know how it works, you can trouble shoot so easy. I started my hybrid project, basically knowing how to change oil, tires, and wire stereo's. Now I know so much more, all my friends call me about all their problems, maybe I should go be a weekend mechanic icon_smile.gif