HybridZ

1981 280zx battery will not keep a charge

azZdriver

It is a '81 280zx non-turbo and has a new alternator but for some reason the battery still drains while driving. I know it is while driving because I disconnected the battery when not driving in case there was a short some where that was draining the battery. Any ideas? Also, tried to post in Troubleshooting but wasn't allowed to create a topic there.

Edited by azZdriver

Run the car up to 2000 RPM and check voltage at the heavy post on the alternator. Should be 13-14 volts if the alternator is working properly. If the voltage does not rise above 11-12 volts, then the alternator is not working. Check to see that the alternator is getting battery voltage excitation on the field winding. If yes, then the alternator is defective. If no, then a fuse may be blown. Fix same and try again for heavy post voltage 13-14 volts.

I had a similar experience a while back. Ended up being the alternator belt wasn't tight enough. I run a vg maxima alternator in my s130 though so its a bit more of pain to get in there with a flat bar. Although the problem may be a lemon alternator with a blown diode or fusible link in your case. It does happen.

• 2 weeks later...