HybridZ

Show off your shop

iBang

I was watching another thread and it gave me the idea for a "post your shop" thread. I'd love to see where people work and keep their cars. I've recently become a home owner and I'm working on a shop to call my own now, and I'd love to see what other Z owners have done with their work spaces.

Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm working on, and have worked on in the past:

Here is the shop I had in Austin. I shared it with a couple of other guys so I only really had room for three cars in there, but it was still pretty cool. Unfortunately it was also 20 minutes from my house and hot as hell in the summer, which in Austin meant most of the time. I kept it for a year and had some good times there, but ultimately I was glad to leave.

IMG_0375%20(Medium).jpg

IMG_0531%20(Medium).jpg

I spent a year working out of my father's garage which kind of sucked, but it did give me a financial boost to get my own house so it worked out in the end.

IMG_0033.jpg

Finally, I got my own place. One of the big reasons I bought this house was that it had a carport that would be easy to turn into a garage. Before you ask, the original garage is taken up by a vinyl and screen printing shop and what little room is left has a motorcycle lift and project bike in it, so no room there.

Here's the house as I bought it:

375272_10101284475562550_7959366_74083158_601127797_n.jpg

I started work pretty quickly on the carport. Here's the beginning of the framework for the garage door and new entrance door:

402850_10101440843105740_7959366_74795577_1730310129_n.jpg

And the finished product:

388542_10101471411750930_7959366_75003550_842902172_n.jpg

Unfortunately since I just got the back siding up I don't have the nice interior pictures showing off what I'd really like to see from everyone else - cabinets, tables, benches, etc. I need some inspiration for the fixtures in the new shop area.

So, what do you guys have?

This makes me sad because I'm losing my shop in a few weeks but I'll post mine.

I got ahold of this place because my friend's family owned the building. There was going to be a laundromat in our space, but the family was working on a development deal on the property to build an apartment complex, so they bought out their lease. Once the economy turned, the money for the development fell through, so we got the space since they didn't know when they would be able to finance it again. Here are some pics of what we had and what we did with it. Unfortunately I found out two weeks ago that they money came through and the whole place is getting knocked down in March. It was fun while it lasted, and we're looking for the next place.

201874_650149448142_1106806_35154371_4375491_o.jpg

191577_624296707242_1106806_35117539_4676442_o.jpg

IMG_2514.JPG

Insurance%2B004.jpg

DSC_8900.JPG

I build custom homes. I had my trim guy build it out for me, all ball bearing drawer guides, slat wall with aluminum inserts. I am getting more vynil made for over the garage doors, the floor is covered in a 2 part epoxy, 1/16" flakes with metallic and pearl in them, and a polyeurothane slip resistant coating on top. I still have to get the tv out there.

iBang, please tell me that you did more to frame in the garage door, and service door. There needs to be a lot more framing material up for support and structural integrity

Yeah, a lot more framework than that went into it before I was done with it.

Is that your TR shop? One of my first cars was a TR7, still have it. It`s a slow restoration project i hope to finish one day. Sure wish i had all that space for my cars!

Fathers shop. It's 5 minutes from my apartment in Arlington so I bring stuff from North Fortworth where the Z is (my moms house) and try to do most of the work at Dad's shop so I don't get stuck on something that I don't have the right tools for back at home... Two or three of the cars in his shop are ours, the rest are customers of his. One of these days I'm going to weasel my Z into an empty space in there so I can get some REAL work done...