HybridZ

Need advice on favorite oils/antifreeze, etc.

I'm at the point in my build where I'm going to be filling and bleeding fluids with the hope of hitting the key next weekend when my long tube headers are due in. Need advice on oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid and fuel/gas. Fuel tank is currently empty/dry. I really want to avoid cooking anything right off the bat. Engine trans combo is 2006 GTO LS2/T56, 13k miles (supposedly). Location/climate is Alabama. Any advice on favorite fluids or tricks to avoid problems during this phase are very welcome. I've had the motor in my garage for a year, don't know how long it was in wrecking yard since last run. I've done some searching about problems with bleeding the clutch, but folks tend to post their problems but don't usually follow thru with how they solved them (maybe they never do?). Any recommendations about how soon to change fluids in a motor coming out of storage are appreciated too. Is there anything I should do in terms of pre-oiling? When I changed the oil pan (6 months ago), there was a layer of clean oil clinging to the crank and everything looked perfect...haven't removed the valve covers or broken into top end of motor at all and really don't want to if I don't have to. I have done some searching, but I'm looking for the latest (and kindest) advice.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Did a little more looking- it seems that Royal Purple may eat stock blocker rings. Won't be changing to that.

I have been using Royal Purple for over 20 years in all my cars from daily drivers to weekend show cars and never had any issues. I heard not to use it in differentials that have clutches because it can make the clutches slip. HOT ROD TV tested Roral Purple on a car and it put 5 hp more to the wheels after changing the oil, transmission and differential fluid. According to them due to less friction.

On my LS7 Z06 I only used Royal Purple on the engine due to the clutch slipping rummors and I jsut did not want to take a chance. Amsoil and Red Line make some excellent oils too.

I saw a bearing test done by a local Race shop and Red Line came in first, Amsoil second and Royal Purple third. To My surprise Mobil One did not do very well at all, it right there with Castrol Syntectic.

I wound up buying Mobile 1 5W30 (since they paid to advertise on the engine oil cap), Peak 50/50 antifreeze (because I cant measure water and I think Danica Patrick is hot-Go Daddy!), and Advance Auto brand Dextron III ATF for the T56 (because that's the only brand they had and everybody else was closed). I'll try to order Redline next chance I get, but I gotta get this thing running! Thanks for the advice guys!

Antifreeze is in-filled both radiator and engine-took ALMOST 3 gallons of 50/50-lots of burping sounds, kind of like sinking of the Titanic. Trans oil is in-took between 3 and 4 quarts-there must have been some already in it. That was messy! The pump that I bought at Harbor Freight had plenty of room thanks to having no exhaust and trans location well over to passenger side, but it was still a mess-expected to need 5 quarts, so when I topped the drain plug prematurely, I got oil all over the floor and some in my hair-I reek. Engine oil is awaiting the dipstick after header install next weekend. Bleeding brakes went pretty easy. Having a hard time getting all the air out of the clutch master cyl/line/slave cyl. Using remote bleeder, but still don't have a good pedal-am trying gravity bleeding right now while I piddle on the internet.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I have been using Royal Purple for over 20 years in all my cars from daily drivers to weekend show cars and never had any issues. I heard not to use it in differentials that have clutches because it can make the clutches slip. HOT ROD TV tested Roral Purple on a car and it put 5 hp more to the wheels after changing the oil, transmission and differential fluid. According to them due to less friction.

On my LS7 Z06 I only used Royal Purple on the engine due to the clutch slipping rummors and I jsut did not want to take a chance. Amsoil and Red Line make some excellent oils too.

I saw a bearing test done by a local Race shop and Red Line came in first, Amsoil second and Royal Purple third. To My surprise Mobil One did not do very well at all, it right there with Castrol Syntectic.

I saw this on LS1tech.com. Supposedly in a test done by Sixspeeds inc, the RP degrades the stock blocker rings in a T56 over time. IIR they do recommend it in other trans and T56's with upgraded blocker rings.-Mnoel