HybridZ

280z Carb Conversion

I just finished installing the dual round top SU's into my 280z, carbs have been rebuilt and are running great. Last issue I'm having is the carbs are getting flooded after running for like 2 minutes. I had installed an electric "Mr. Gasket" universal fuel pump thats good for 4,6, and 8 cylinder cars and up to 7 pounds. I researched the forums for awhile but didn't really get any straight answers. Do I need to install a regulator? The fuel pump never stops, just keeps pumping. I'm getting the excess gas coming out through the needle, not through the return line at the carbs. My dad says a regulator shouldn't be needed, I found a couple of articles stating that a regulator is ALWAYS needed. The guy at Murrays says the only time I would get away without running a regulator is if the carbs can handle the pressure coming from the pump without flooding. I did my research and everything that was spoken about didn't really give me a straight answer, all help is appreciated!

Any possibilities of running without one?

I don't mind spending the money, but my dad is the one doing the work and he swears on his life that a FPR won't fix the issue. It seems to me that it will, I just hate to argue something that I myself can't explain. He's saying there are pump that shut themselves off, I haven't been able to locate one, not even on the internet.

You could get a 3psi carter pump but I don't know if that will flow enough fuel to feed the carbs without the bowls going dry at high rpm. I've usually ran a bigger pump and just used a regulator. Using a mr. gasket 7 psi is too much without a regulator I know I used the same pump and had the same issue, I personally don't like to run that pump anyway's. Holley's and Carter's are good pump's Mr. gaskets tend to fail alot.

Facet fuel pumps makes the another of the type your dad is talking about. And at ~30 or so they are very affordable and very commonly used for SU powered vehicles. From what I gather, they are fairly reliable to boot.

From the gentlemen I spoke to, he stated that if the pump sees more than a certain psi, (I think 4 in my case) it shuts off/ or more likely is unable to push any more until the pressure difference is lowered. I'm unregulating it in hopes that my engine will be efficient enough to be using the extra psi of fuel.

Edited by seattlejester

I've decided to change my pump last week, I've chosen a Mallory 4070lp pump. You can even dial the output pressure of the pump & it should be very quiet. Hopefully, reliability would be good...

Edited by Lazeum

Thanx for the feedback everyone. I looked in the Facet, its exactly what he was referring to, but If I order one I have to sit here and wait for it a week or two, since the local shops don't sell them. I have already in hand a ProFlow Pump and a low pressure regulator that I'll probably end up throwing in today.