HybridZ

alt upgrade on 260z done. now have questions!

hey guys. i recently installed a new 280zx alternator and redid the wiring at the voltage regulator plug. my voltmeter shows a constant 12.05 volts right after start up and only 13.98 when i rev it past 3500. seems it only kick in after reving it high. after i rev it high the alternator will stay engaged with a constant 13.98v. was wondering if this is normal or if something is not working correctly.

Once the alternator flashes, it maintains the voltage. What did you do to the sensing line and did you get the field flash wiring correct at the regulator plug with diode and jumpers?

Mine did that when the regulator was still connected. After I removed it and installed the diode/jumpers it was hunky dory.

Once the alternator flashes, it maintains the voltage. What did you do to the sensing line and did you get the field flash wiring correct at the regulator plug with diode and jumpers?

Mine did that when the regulator was still connected. After I removed it and installed the diode/jumpers it was hunky dory.

diode is in. ive read that i needed to put in a charge light or a bulb just to drop the voltage to kick in the alternator.

I just did the zxt alternator swap this weekend to my 260z. I am getting a 13.2v at the battery, down to about 12.1v during cranking and back to 13.v while running, if I rev the car from the engine bay watching the meter, I volts creeps to 15v and stays there. I will have to double check my wiring or maybe the alternator is bad -over charging the system?