HybridZ

What do you guys things of doing this mod?

So the 240z I just bought has a broken out side driver door handle. Its cracked on the inside. And the previous owner has filled in the door locks. Worst is there are no power locks or alarm to unlock it. I have to open it from the passenger side.

Any way I recalled this modification on TV and I have and looked at my 1990 300zx and think this will work. Take a look at the video and tell me what you guys think of using the 300zx for this mod.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/ji1ngf/powerblock-muscle-car-blue-collar-buick-bumpers-and-door-handles-season-4-ep-102

what do you guys think?

Lots of work, but depending on handle, it could be cool.

I'd just add actuators and an alarm or remote lock system. I run lock actuators and stock handles with mine and did away with the key holes. If I have a failure, I still have my hatch in a worst case scenario to get into the car.

How far into the episode is it?

After the sixth or seventh commercial! The internet is free, right.

Rant over.

I think it's a great idea right in line with the thinking here. Lots of work? Sure. Those guys on the show are pros that do that everyday. They make it look easy. You just have to decide if you have the tools and talents to do it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Idont have time to watch through all those commercials, I'm assuming that you're talking about cutting out the hole for the external handle and welding in the one off the 300zx that are flush with the body? It'd be really kewl to see, hope you know how to do body work and have at least twice the humor that those guys have haha

Edited by DeathByNissan55

That looks like a pretty cool mod. I'm not a fan of the handles in the show, but some others might look pretty good on a Datsun. like you said, the 300ZX(Z32) handles could probably work. A could words of caution in changing out handles though:

1. Clearance, as they mentioned you need to be certain the new handles will clear the window and inner assy.

2. Find A handle that's similar in design to what you're replacing. A little bit off may work but add up to a lot of binding as it wears.

3. Security. A lot of the newer handles have the problem that there's nothing behind them, Thieves just pop out the plastic handle w/ a screwdriver and reach in to open the door.

#3 could be handled in a few ways, but if you're going so far as to fab these handles into the S30, you might also fab a cup to hold the handle. that way when they pry it out, there's metal behind it, and they can't easilly just reach in.

I would certainly like to see this mod on a S30, I might do it myself, if I can find a Set of Z32 doors to cut up. I'm already using the mirrors from a S2000, and the engine from a 350Z, What's another mod along the way?