HybridZ

Farthest driven,Longest road trip anyone's done?

Hi Def

Once I get my ZXT swap done,I'm moving and driving it to Seattle from Milwaukee.. It's almost 2k miles on the head,one way. Luckily I have a friend who wants to do the road trip,so I atleast have a co-pilot.

I have re-done almost everything drivetrain wise. All new suspension. Tokico Blues,springs,poly everything,MSA sway bar kit,clutch kit,all wheel bearings,shifter bushings,aluminum radiator,elec fan,tires,exhaust,fuel injectors,overhauled turbo L28ET,full fluids,brakes,stainless lines,slave cly,master slave,steering rack bushings,coupler,Derale oil cooler with elec fan,all dash,front,tail lights,steering wheel,and few parts that I'm sure I'm missing. Lol

Thinking I'm pretty well set reliably for the trip. Lol Ofcourse,I'll be bringing my tool box and spare parts. ;) Not my first road trip,but def the farthest I've ever driven it!!! Lol

What's the farthest anyone here has driven their ZX? Anything I've missed that I should maybe put on the "To Do List" yet?

Thanks for any and all responces.

I've driven from Burbank CA to Daytona Beach FL (2500-2600 miles) 6 times, 5 of those times in my ZX once in my 260z.

The first time I did it, I had just rebuilt the engine and dropped it in after 1 year of not touching it. I got it running, drove on a 500 mile break in period in one day using a one day moving pass since that car wasn't registered.

1 week later I drove the car cross country for the first time on that engine, changed the oil after the first 500mile for the break in and again right when I got to Daytona Beach.

The last time I drove it, my wheel bearing decided to seize up 100 miles before I hit daytona. Wasn't expecting that at all. Nothing much you can in that situation.

Edited by BluDestiny

Good to hear. And yeah,that's a hella long ride there! Lol I've done a bunch of road trips but never in an older car. Hearing the successful stories is def reassuring to say the least. I do have some road miles on the other parts. About 1,500 at most before doing the swap. So,I'm fairly confident that everything is good order so far. As ya said,some things are definitely unforseeable thou.

Thinking about upgrading the headlights yet and adding some driving lights. Driving thru the mid-west farm lands is pretty dark. Been there,done that. ;) Found some LED headlights but,Omg.... 650? I like the Hi Def-ability of them but dam! Lol I kinda don't trust the universal HID headlight kits either. Never seen them in person. Exspecially where it would matter,like out in the middle of bfe.. Hella seems to be the only alternative.?

Thanks for you responce also. Must appreciated.

Edited by Hi Def

Dapper lighting offers an awesome HID kit that fits our cars well. A bit pricey compared to the Hella lights, but they're great quality and quite a few members on here are running them with no complaints.

The owner's screen name on here is bens1088.

http://www.dapperlighting.com/classic-headlights.html

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/90868-projector-headlight-hid-kits-for-all-240-280zxs/page__p__860998__hl__hid__fromsearch__1#entry860998

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/93740-official-order-list-for-hybridz-projector-headlights/page__p__885249__hl__hid__fromsearch__1#entry885249

I have a ratcrap 260Z I bought at police auction for $125.

I live in SoCal.

I drove to ABQ for the 95 (?) Convention, about 5,000 miles in two weeks of road time.

I drove to Great Canadian Zedaway in Kingston Ontario Canada, roughly 18,000 miles in three weeks of road time (no, I did not take the most direct route... personal best day was from some godforsaken roadside stop west of the Platte River in Nebraska, to Grand Rapids Michigan -- 1100 miles in a day's driving, roughly 11 hours start to stop...including waiting in traffic for 45 minutes going into Gary ID to pay a 28 cent toll to leave the miserable state of Illinois.)

I drove to the Houston Convention, through the Atlantic SE, up the Blue Ridge Parkway, through Michigan, and back--roughly 15,000 miles in three weeks of road time.

On the Houston trip, since my wife was co-pilot, instead of driving for 18 hours a day and sleeping by the roadside... the car was run 24 hours daily stopping only for gasoline and restroom breaks which averaged 20 minutes (to fill the cars tank, and drain ours...)

On the Zedaway, I was the only driver, and we would drive 16-18 hours a day on the highway at 80 or so mph (er...or higher...) stopping when necessary (about every 240 miles) for fueling which took roughly 20 minutes.

From that above list, you can figure out my average speed across Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and into Grand Rapids. Like it or not, every 240 miles you stop to get gas and that takes time.

So you want to know what broke?

First trip to ABQ, pulled off at a station in Arizona and got bad gas. Clogged the fuel filter, and it's replacement, and it's replacement's replacement with fine red desert clay. And the diode leads melted off the alternator... And the Smog Pump seized leaving the belt in the middle of I40 on fire...

Trip to Canada, I provisioned everything so the back of the car was PACKED. Had spares of everything. Nothing broke.

Trip to Houston, put all Paranoia Spares on a trailer (the way to go) so when we arrived we chained the trailer to a light post at the hotel and drove free and unencumbered. Ran into the back of a Toyota Pickup. Cut the fan blades with a knife to clearance the radiator, Drove on. Found seepage of coolant from the radiator in NC. Added Aluma-Seal, running to this day. Spent a few minutes in Michigan with a chain and an oak tree to pull the right bucket and light back to somewhat proper alignment. Looks OK, but is actually about 1/8" shorter on that side than the other. Final pull to be done some time in the future at a proper body shop. During the 24 hour driving, the synchro on 5th started acting up (high mileage used tranny) and popping out of gear. Bungeed it the rest of the way home. This MAY have had something to do with the fact of dragging an 800# trailer 15,000 miles at speeds of 80-100mph in fifth. It's kind of severe duty...

You read this far, I'll tackle lights:

The ABQ and Canada runs had four aux lights on the front of the car. Along with 55/100 H4 Euro Headlights. The aux lamps light up the roadway a bit, but the BEST thing they were for was attracting gravel and brush and subsequently breaking off the car. But good relay kit on the high wattage H4's with a combined HI/LOW ILLUMINATION JUMPER) give you just as good visibility, if not better IMO (this means when you flick high beams, the LO Beams STAY ILLUMINATED--some Euro Porsches did this...VERY nice!)

Do it with RELAY KIT, HI/LO Jumper, and 55/100 H4 Euro Bulbs and you will be happy. And it will be under $150 for the whole lighting equation.

MATTER OF FACT, the H4 Lights I installed back in 1995 for the ABQ run JUST burned out their low beams last year. I complained to the supplier bitterly. He (not joking here!) replaced the bulbs for free!!!

So this is not the story of a ZX, but other than the L26 in the car, the tranny and the 3.7 rear gear came from a ZX...does that still count? ;)

Edited by Tony D

Stock 240/260Z tank. This will return a fillup anywhere from 9-12 gallons to fill depending on speed average. I did not break below 20mpg with SU's until the Nebraska sprint where I averaged 19&change for those tanks. Below 100mph average speed, it was 22 or thereabouts. Below 80, it started going up more, peaking at 27mpg through Wisconsin where I stayed in 5th and never exceeded 65, averaging closer to 55-60mph.

Stock 260Z, Four Screw SU's, Early 5sp, 3.70 R180 out back. Mileage was for all intents identical with a late ZX box in there, except for 55-60 driving in WI I would spend much more time in 4th.

I now put a vacuum gauge back in to monitor some other observations.

I would expect with the same 2gallon reserve cushion in a ZX having like a 20 or 22 gallon tank your mileage covered could be 100 or more miles simply from elimination of one or two fuel stops minimum, per day! 360-400 miles is what I would expect in one of them.

For me, that LD28 and the 32 gallon Factory S30 Rally Tank appeals to me for longer drives. I could literally drive nonstop for 1100 miles before fueling! The exhaust aspirator will handle the human drainage requirements as proven on previous trips ("Tony, your car is smoking really bad up this hill" -- "DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH THE SMOKE! STAY IN THE OTHER LANE!!!")

I pulled a u-haul trailer from front royal virginia to Orlando.....then back up to virginia empty for another trip down to orlando in 3 days..........paying only the one way trip from front royal to orlando.

Good thing I was in front royal where they were too lazy to even watch me hook up or Uhaul would never have allowed a 280zx to connect up a trailer this size.

Enclosed5x10Large.png

I built a large receiver type hitch which used the bumper shock bolts in addition to bumper mounting but was short enough such that I didn't worry about something pushing the assembly into the fuel tank if I got hit or hit something.

I packed a few rubber dogbones in the rear springs to limit the down travel of the suspension and carefully loaded the trailer to keep tongue weights managable and the car drove perfectly level and smooth.

Of course, the turbo seized only 200 miles into the trip so I cut a thin piece of stainless from a floppy disc, undid the two bolts on the turbo drain, slid the metal in to block the turbo drain, replaced the "T" on the oil supply with the gauge sender, and disconnected the wastegate actuator to keep the gate open.

Then I drove around a large tire tread from a truck on the highway and it clipped one of the long tire valve stems and cracked it such that centrifugal force would only cause leaking when the car was going fast.

I noticed it when I was filling the tire and found a very short flat head wood screw and used it as a buttress to keep the valve from being pulled by the forces at speed......but not before using ultra black to seal it.

10 miles later, I got my second flat tire in 23 years but I happened to have a zx turbo swastica wheel and tire I was transporting so I used that as the spare congratulating myself on fixing the other tire instead of swapping the spare at that time.

I drove on that tire and seized turbo for 6 months.

I later towed a 1984 maxima with a car dolly using the 280zx.

Great car for towing as long as you only brake in a straight line and don't even attempt it if the zx has bad rear shocks.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Holy sit Tony... You dam sure have some miles logged in a Z/ZX. Lol Thank you very much for that well written responce! Def makes me feel a bit more at ease about this move. :) Def NOT towing a trailer,that's for sure. Plus it would kill the mountain pass runs. ;) Just my 2 smaller tool boxes,spare alt(have a Zspecialties 105 amp in car),factory spare tire,air compressor/jump box,etc....

And Tony,why wouldn't ya go over 65 in Wisconsin?? Lol ;) Trust me,I'm sure I know why.. Come on vacation,leave on probation is what we say. Lol

And where can I find that HI/LOW relay at? I'm sure there's a write up on that somewhere here? Looks like I'll def be ordering that Hi current headlight wiring upgrade now. ;) I could do without the driving/fog lights also. Those were just a thought. I def like those Dapperlighting headlights. Seem nice and clear bright. Still a bit pricey thou. Still looking into them yet.

Just saving up for the last of the parts I need to finish the swap. Injectors,the oil cooler,blow off valve,and maybe a intercooler. Althou,few of those parts are just for being nice to the turbo. :) Nothing wrong in being nice and supportive to the turbo..

I

If I have the time,I may try the CRX seat swap I read about on xenons.com's site. My seats are shot to say the least. Lol Steering wheel is def getting swapped out also. Ugly and not very comfortable. Lol

This chassis as I mentioned will be raped once the next one is ready when I get there,so no body work is being done. Spray foamed some areas (unseen ofcourse) and that helped a ton in road noise! I'd even say,its a bit stiffer too. S

I'm sure its not the best idea,but it helped and worked in this case. Lol Not even a squeak anywhere. Now I just wish the weatherstripping was that ez to fix!!!! :( Doing the hatch,cause its cheap and I don't wanna drift asleep. Lol It's leaked since day one,but once again,never drove it this far or long. Tail and hatch seals forsure! Lol

Well,still looking to hear about your Datsun road trips.. Def feels good to see that ppl drive their Z/ZX's on long trips. I always heard small cars suck on road trips.. I always get mad,cause I love the small cars. Lol Always have,Always will! Lol Thanks for all the responded so far. Keep'em coming.

Well, lets see, two round trips DC to MT, DC to Orlando, came over 4th of July pass in a snowstorm with no chains, can't recommend that to anyone...did US 11 from Lolo MT to Kooskia ID, 133 miles of curves along the route Lewis and Clark took, unbelievable scenery. I miss the days when everything I owned fit in the Datsun.

Edited by gogriz91

Actually, the Harbor Freight Trailer with the 12" wheels tracked arrow straight behind me, and doing radical lane changes at 80+ mph that little bugger didn't even THINK of stepping out of line or hopping. I made an 'emergency lane change' in Fabens Texas from the frontage road onto the freeway at that speed or slightly higher and the little trailer tracked true. Hit a big hole on a dirt road leaving El-Mirage and literally saw a 'grey and black diamond' in my rearview---thing hopped up HIGH slammed back down loaded and kept on going. I have nothing but good things to say about the 4X4 Harbor Freight Trailer. With a Tool Box on the front, and your race tires on the back it's unbeatable as a long distance hauler. I kept a playmate cooler of fruit and sodas between the back strut towers wedged under the strut bar, and a 48 qt cooler on the tongue of the trailer which I would load each morning. Kept me going without having to stop for anything but drainage and fillage.

And yeah, exhaust aspirator... Toyota EGR Gulp Valve for the catalyst works great along with a 10mm baloney-cut tube inserted just behind any catalyst or front resonator/muffler. Have a valve inside the car just in case, and when you open it at highway speed and use that 'invalid apparatus' you took from the hospital visit...

Let's just say, I can't let fly that freely in a urinal for fear of pissfreckles. That thing EXTRACTS it from you I swear! No muss, no fuss, and a perverse satisfaction if Smokey is running your plate just a bit too close. It's TOTALLY worth the pullover and questioning about your 'smoking vehicle with a rancid odor'... B)

And where can I find that HI/LOW relay at? I'm sure there's a write up on that somewhere here? Looks like I'll def be ordering that Hi current headlight wiring upgrade now. ;) I could do without the driving/fog lights also. Those were just a thought. I def like those Dapperlighting headlights. Seem nice and clear bright. Still a bit pricey thou. Still looking into them yet.

They sell the high/low relay on ebay or MSA or Black Dragon. Just search something like H4 Halogen relay. (Make sure it's for halogen/sealed beam).

The Dapper Lighting kit comes wired for HID relays. We also have a 55W kit if you want... REALLY bright :2thumbs:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by bens1088

NO CHAINS during a snowstorm in a pass!? Brave,brave man. Lol Now that is something I def wouldn't try. I've been through Stevens Pass in Washington,and they'll stop and FORCE everyone traveling thru the pass to put chains on. Even 4x4 without studs. We were on studded tires and 4x4 even then,at very slow speeds,white knuckled driving.

Wow Phil... 500+ miles on a tank... Now that's some mpg!!! Lol I actually didn't really even think of gas mileage yet. I do remember when I first bought the ZX a few years back and was searching forums and read,the ZX's were averaging like 27-ish mpg.. Now its turbo'd thou,wrong size tires,(on purpose)195/60/14 and not driving straight thru. Making a road trip outta it and stopping to see the sites and attractions. Mt. Rush,some auto museum,(can't remember the name off hand),Strugis,etc. I have done the trip a cpl times for work and visiting,but in much newer and rental cars and didn't sight-see. I've lived in Clearwater,FL for a year,and have been to the Falls,New Hampshire,Jersey,Pittsburgh,Iowa,Minneapolis,Chicago,Long Beach,Englewood,and Seattle.. Wow,I've been a lot of places. Never wrote them out before. Lol

And all of a sudden,your trailer idea sounds pretty good Tony. Lol But,I still don't wanna tow a trailer. Only parts I haven't rebuilt or replaced was the tranny and rear diff. I did put new front and rear seals in the tranny. Output shafts. Rear diff was good but replaced the front and side seals for good measure.

And thank you Dapper for stepping in. :) Very nice lights. Def on my want list. Have to try and work those puppies into the budget thou. I see you have fog lights also? I'm totally just asking about those. Gonna try and fit the headlights into the budget as is,I'm sure to have a whole kit is outta my reach at the moment. But the next ZX I have lined up would def look good with them. Also Dapper,what are the 2 wattages offered. 55w is the brighter you offer? Is there an up charge for those? Anymore comparison pics of the 2 besides the one on your site?

Once again,thanks everyone for the stories and ideas.. My Co-pilot has a really nice camera and laptop.. Pics will DEF be uploaded. Hoping to have it on the road in the next 3 weeks. Roadtrip between June and July. We'er both gear heads pretty much,so everything automotive along the way will get attention.

Edited by Hi Def

Haha take your time. I haven't had time to put together fog kits yet so they're all just sitting in a box in the office. It's just like having 4 headlights... pretty awesome. Maybe 1 tuff z will chime in if he comes across the thread.

Edited by bens1088