HybridZ

Floppy Z31 input shaft

24OZ

I've just completed the Jon Mortensen Axle shaft swap and I noted that one of the input shafts is really floppy, whereas the other isn't as loose.

What causes this looseness, is it an issue and how to I go about fixing it?

Thanks.

Edited by 24OZ

Is it safe to assume you have the CV plugged all the way in until it clipped into the diff, and that you have the inner CV's on the correct sides?

There needs to be slack in the side gears and this translates to some vertical motion in the inner CV shaft. I don't have a spec on it, but I just went and checked and my LSD has probably 1/16" on both sides, and they feel pretty equal.

I think that he's just talking about the stiffness of the CV joint itself, alone, flopping around on the end of the shaft assembly. Affected by the thickness of the grease, the angle that you're holding it, the stiffness of the rubber boot, how worn the CV joint itself is, etc. There's probably better ways to determine if a joint is worn.

Aha! The light goes on! Thank you.

Yeah, NewZed is right, it's a function of the clearances between the ball bearings and the races, the friction of the balls against the cage, the grease, etc.

When you have the joint apart, that's the time to look for problems. The most common problem is pitting of the balls or of the races. There isn't a hard fast rule about when is too much,but that's generally what you're looking for.

I have some Porsche 930 chromoly race CVs that are LOOSE, and most of the factory ones are TIGHT, but I don't think there is any particular harm in running a loose joint or a tight one, so long as the ball bearings and races are in good shape.

The inner and outer CVs have different size ball bearings in them. I don't think that it is possible to assemble them wrong, but that's about all I can come up with as far as things that could have been done wrong.

Thanks guys that exactly what I meant.

Whilst I completely disassembled the outer cvs and took all the bearings apart, I couldn't see how to remove the inner cv bearings. On the loose one though I did fill it up with mineral spirits to clean it thoroughly and perhaps it's a lot cleaner then the other side and hence more looser.