HybridZ

Trailer Hitches

I know there are mixed feelings floating around about hitches on Z's, but personal bias aside, can we get some good hitch pictures posted? I want to use a 2" receiver hitch for my bike rack, and I want to see how other hitches are supported/mounted. I have it on the car now, and it's probably good enough for the bike rack, but I wouldn't feel great towing cross country with a trailer yet (which I'm doing in August!). Thanks!!

I know there are mixed feelings floating around about hitches on Z's, but personal bias aside, can we get some good hitch pictures posted? I want to use a 2" receiver hitch for my bike rack, and I want to see how other hitches are supported/mounted. I have it on the car now, and it's probably good enough for the bike rack, but I wouldn't feel great towing cross country with a trailer yet (which I'm doing in August!). Thanks!!

Woah, haven't posted on this site in years. A 280z I bought came with a rear tow hitch, I thought it was crazy. I might have some pics before I took it off the car.

It's sitting in my garage taking up space if anybody wants it.

Edited by 10cjennings

The first two are Curt Mfg Hitches, which are available today, for around $130. Looks like it bolts up to the rear bumper and the spare tire well. Probably have to drop the gas tank to drill holes and install.

The third is one that ebay member Reddat sold back in October '11. I like the idea that it doesn't require new holes in the spare tire well, and actually attaches to something solid. I think it bolts up to the rear differential hanger (the 'framework' that the mustache bar/differential carrier mounts up to. It should provide the support to keep the hitch from pivoting (swinging up and down due to tongue weight) and should take tensile loads from the actual pulling.

post-2969-070680000 1335176237_thumb.jpg

post-2969-084639100 1335176252_thumb.jpg

post-2969-057135100 1335176266_thumb.jpg

The only pic of my 280zx with a hitch. I had it installed by uhaul before I had to drive cross country and take my furniture with me. It was like this funny Z/tetris shape and they used 4 giant bolts and ran it through my rear trunk area.

edit: please ignore the horrible wheel fitment

PICT0026.jpg

Edited by BluDestiny

• 2 weeks later...

Here's your non fixed hitch:

DSC09766.jpg

DSC09769.jpg

I'm still not sure if I need to have a stabilizer bar going into the spare tire well or the rear diff mount or something. I can put my weight on my receiver and it seems pretty sturdy, but you can feel the smallest bit of flex at the bumper mounts. Mounting to the wheelwell puts some goofy bends in the bracket, (giving it a prime place to bend/ flex), and so does going to the rear diff mount. (besides the fact that is has to be super long to make it under the gas tank, etc)

It does look like the purely 'pulling' load is almost directly centered on the bumper (ie, no flex if there's no moment). I also drilled a closer hole in the hitch to reduce the moment from the tongue weight.

This came off my 1980 Mustang, it only mounted to the bumper. I used this model for my reciever hitch setup.

DSC09777.jpg

I'm still not sure if I need to have a stabilizer bar going into the spare tire well or the rear diff mount or something. I can put my weight on my receiver and it seems pretty sturdy, but you can feel the smallest bit of flex at the bumper mounts. Mounting to the wheelwell puts some goofy bends in the bracket, (giving it a prime place to bend/ flex), and so does going to the rear diff mount. (besides the fact that is has to be super long to make it under the gas tank, etc)

It does look like the purely 'pulling' load is almost directly centered on the bumper (ie, no flex if there's no moment). I also drilled a closer hole in the hitch to reduce the moment from the tongue weight.

• 11 months later...