HybridZ

(help) Manual Transmission conversion

I'm thinking about an automatic to manual Transmission conversion on my 1977 280z 2+2. I'm not sure where to start. I was wondering what kind of transmission would bolt up without any adapter brackets. I want a 5 speed manual from a 1983 280zx. What more do i need then just the transmission. I know ill need the ecu, clutch master cylinder, clutch assembly. What else is needed? Is there room in the engine bay for the clutch master cylinder? Is the transmission for a 83 280ZX compatible? Will i need to pull the whole engine assembly out or can i jack it into place from under? And will the original drive shaft fit without any modification? Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

-S30kid

Use the search bar. There is tons of info for the conversion. Yes all l28 manual trannys will bolt right in. And yes it comes out from the bottom of the car. You will need a manual pedal box, clutch master, slave cylinder, line from clutch master to slave cylinder clutch kit and flywheel pos starter, and of course tranny with mount.

Use the search bar. There is tons of info for the conversion. Yes all l28 manual trannys will bolt right in. And yes it comes out from the bottom of the car. You will need a manual pedal box, clutch master, slave cylinder, line from clutch master to slave cylinder clutch kit and flywheel pos starter, and of course tranny with mount.

Pedal boxes are the same between auto and manual for the same year, just the pedals need to be swapped out.

Rough outline:

Get the car high off the ground. I recommend the Truck/SUV jack stands.

All of the S30's have the same length driveshaft. It fits the auto, 4 speed, and 5 speed.

You will not need a different ecu.

But you will need to bridge the wires on the neutral safety switch.

Just the clutch and brake pedals, the pedal box is the same.

EVERYTHING for the clutch system. You will not need to cut anything for this. there are already mounts in place for the master cylinder.

You will need to cut the shifter hole. Follow the line that's already there. (Once you pull the shifter off you will see what I'm talking about)

Remove the vacuum line that leads to the transmission, and replace the connector on the intake manifold with the manual trans. one. (I prefer this to plugging the open hole)

The pedals are the biggest PITA is my opinion.

Good luck.

I noticed a difference between the length of the driveshaft on my auto and my series 1 4 speed

Anywho. The swap is very straightforward, just don't overlook anything and you'll be fine

I've got a fairly new clutch and brake master cylinder if you need them s30kid