HybridZ

Coolant leak in a wierd spot.

kaito

I was in the process of mounting the cs144 alternator and removed the top bracket to adjust the alternator belt tension when I noticed coolant coming out. I pulled the bolt all the way out and coolant trickles out at a pretty constant rate. Should I just use some thread sealant and call it a day or is it going to put coolant into the oil? It is the top bolt on the timing chain cover right above the radiator coolant inlet to the block.

It's weird since head should hold the front cover tight against the block, do you have the bolt tight between the front cover & the head?

Depending on how much water went into your oil pan, I would at least fluch the oil as a safety measure. Not worse saving $50...

If it's the bolt that I think it is, it's open to the coolant passages, when the bolt is removed is a "leak." Tighten up the bolt and the "leak" will go away.

There shouldn't be any coolant in the oil, the gasket between the front cover and the block should have that possibility sealed off.

Edited by Six_Shooter

The front cover gasket is new. I haven't looked at water in the oil. I don't think there is any, I was just worried that it could be a possibility. The bolt that goes from the head to the front cover is unfortunately stripped out. The leak stops when the bolt is tightened. I'm fairly sure this bolt is open to coolant passage, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help fellas.

Neither of the bolts around the water jacket at the timing cover go into water passages. The 8mm bolt that holds the water pump to the timing cover does, but that should not be the bolt in question here. Id say you have a gasket failure at that top bolt. Eventually it might seep into the oil pan. bolt it back together and pressure test the system. See if it holds pressure over a few hours. If it does then Id say your okay, but if it leaks down and you do not have any other leak sources its time to pull the timing cover and replace the gasket again and check the surfaces at the timing cover and block for issues.

Ray