HybridZ

New Z

Hello all,

I've picked up a bone-stock '75 280Z, since my '87 Z31 was totaled several months ago. I'm new to the s30 chassis, and to the L28E so I've got a few questions you all can hopefully knock out.

1. The car has a good amount of vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle between 20-30mph, mostly seen in 2nd gear and I've no clue what it could be.

2. Cold start system is acting up, which is typically the cause (thermotime or cold start valve?)

3. Bumper conversion: How hard is it to rid these cars of those God-awful tank armor bumpers?

4. The shifter is extra sloppy, it shifts fine but the shifter itself is very loose, is this typical and fixable?

5. Any good sources for the headlight/wiper combo switch? Brights work but low beams do not.

6. Where's the best place to start when doing a overhaul on the l28E and the 4-speed drivetrain?

Overall the car is great shape, needs a respray and some TLC which I plan on doing once I get back from Afghan.Again, I'm a complete newbie from the s30 standpoint so any advice I can get will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hello all,

I've picked up a bone-stock '75 280Z, since my '87 Z31 was totaled several months ago. I'm new to the s30 chassis, and to the L28E so I've got a few questions you all can hopefully knock out.

1. The car has a good amount of vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle between 20-30mph, mostly seen in 2nd gear and I've no clue what it could be.

2. Cold start system is acting up, which is typically the cause (thermotime or cold start valve?)

3. Bumper conversion: How hard is it to rid these cars of those God-awful tank armor bumpers?

4. The shifter is extra sloppy, it shifts fine but the shifter itself is very loose, is this typical and fixable?

5. Any good sources for the headlight/wiper combo switch? Brights work but low beams do not.

6. Where's the best place to start when doing a overhaul on the l28E and the 4-speed drivetrain?

Overall the car is great shape, needs a respray and some TLC which I plan on doing once I get back from Afghan.Again, I'm a complete newbie from the s30 standpoint so any advice I can get will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1. Check wheel balance, make sure all fasteners on rotating components are properly torqued.

2. Look up the "EFI Bible", check out Tech Tips section of atlanticz.ca

3. Brackets, answered above

4. Search, "shifter bushing"

5. Dave Irwin rebuilds them

6. FSM, download free at xenons30.com

5. The low beam/high beam problem is actually more likely from the dimmer switch/turn signal assembly. I fixed mine (same problem) by hosing the insides of the dimmer switch with CAIG DeoxIT, but I think that they can be taken apart and cleaned up also. I had planned to but the DeoxIT worked so well that I never did.

Why am I the first to ask for pictures?

All questions answered but I'd like to add maybe check/replace all the bushings. Could be cause of vibration (although I doubt it since its only when slow).

Give it a real good tune up.

Edited by BluDestiny