HybridZ

l28et mate with 76 280z 4 speed?

280zmn

I am planning on buying an l28et out of an automatic car. i want to keep it manual so, so far what i've learn is that there is a spacer on the crank of the automatic l28 et that i could just take off. Then it comes down to the clutch and flywheel.. I need a 225mm flywheel is what I have come up with from searching. So what kind of flywheel is on my 76 280z? and would i have to order and aftermarket clutch? I was hoping i could just plug and play with my tranny but that hope went out the window.

The motor is coming with a flywheel that the owner says needs resurfacing but i don't know if it was the one that came out of the automatic. I am going to look a the motor today, and inspect it a little more. thanks for reading and any help is much appreciated!

Your 76 280Z parts should all fit, once you remove the automatic spacer, if it's still there, from the L28ET engine. The backs of the two engines will look the same. Your 76 came stock with a 225 mm flywheel and clutch so should still be on there with your 4 speed. You could take the flywheel you have on your current engine and bolt it to the turbo engine. The 225 mm clutch is small for the turbo's power though, as I understand things, so you might consider a stronger aftermarket 225 mm clutch and pressure plate. Or you could resurface the 240 mm flywheel and get a 240 mm disc and pressure plate.

Basically, it could be a plug-n-play, except for the strength of the stock NA clutch, which might end the playing sooner than hoped.

Full disclosure - I've never had a turbo engine.

Your L28ET from an automatic will not have a flywheel. You have to remove the flex plate and the spacer, then bolt on the 225mm flywheel from the NA L28. If you get a flywheel from a manual turbo engine, it will be the 250mm type. Either unit can be fitted with a better clutch, so if you don't get a turbo flywheel, you can work with the NA unit.