HybridZ

Buying a new SA2010 helmet

Looking for SA2010 and would like to use HANS when I get to the big track and not have to buy another helmet so HANS compatible is what I'm looking for. I picked up a little Miata to do some autoxing with and I need to buy a new helmet to start racing again. In reading various helmet threads on various forums, the advice is always the same: try out a bunch of helmets before you buy.

The problem seems to be that nobody stocks SA helmets, so I don't see how you try a bunch of them out other than by ordering a bunch via mail order and then returning the ones that don't fit right. I know that's not my favorite thing when people do it to me, so I'd like to try and figure it out a different way.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where one might be able to try on various helmets? Is there a helmet superstore that I'm just not aware of?

My head size is 7 1/2 and is kind long and narrow (think the creature in Alien). Bells and Shoei's seem to fit my freaky head just fine. I currently have a Bell M3 and a Shoe RF1100. I've also had the Bell Vortex and it fit very well.

I guess I'm lucky enough to have a few local places that stock SA helmets. You probably already have, but search around and see if you can find some local places. Racetracks, race-shops and circle-track equipment suppliers tend to stock this kind of stuff.

If there are absolutely no places in your area, then I'd go to bike shops and try on M-type helmets. Sizing should be similar within product lines of each manufacturer, i.e. a Shoei M helmet should fit similar to a Shoei SA classified helmet.

Edited by Leon

Did what I should have done in the first place and called the local motorcycle shop and asked if they had SA helmets or knew anyone that did. They pointed me to a race shop about 20 miles from here that stocks a bunch of different brands. Sometimes common sense just takes a vacation. For anyone in Seattle:

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/