HybridZ

75 distributor in 73 datsun

Try disconnecting that second connection on the coil negative. Use just the output from the ICM. I'm not sure what that other wire would be for.

That's a good point. ON a 280Z that might be the wire to the tach and ECU. On a 240 it might be keeping the coil primary circuit closed, stopping the coil from discharging.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coil neg to C terminal, green w/white and black w/white to B terminal, black w/white and suppressor to coil pos. Ground wire added to module.

When I use the jumper wire I get spark from coil neg with key on and terminal C terminal and during cranking same result. I connected the jumper to W terminal and G terminal but no spark with key on or during cranking shouldn't W or G spark when cranking?

The second pickup works separately from the first one. It's just 6 degrees advanced. It would have been controlled by the stock ignition module. Since you've measure 717 ohms at the wire, that pickup coil looks good, most likely, you don't want them in-line.

You get spark from coil negative, which is the coil primary charging up, but do you get spark from the main spark distribution wire that feeds that distributor cap? You should get a spark at both. I haven't seen a picture with the main coil wire connected.

And did you disconnect the second wire from coil negative like Six Shooter suggested? The circuit from the coil negative to ground has to be broken or the coil will not discharge through the main center terminal.

W and G just take the tiny pulse from the pickup coil and use it to make and break the circuit from the coil negative wire to ground.

Timing won't affect the intensity of the spark, just when it sparks.

Have you tried using a jumper to ground the coil to check for spark intensity? Keep in mind, the spark happens when you disconnect the negative trigger. This will determine if the coil is at fault or something farther upstream.

Also you haven't verified if you disconnected that second wire from the coil negative.

Sorry, second wire is disconnected. I put an alligator clip wire on the negative terminal it would spark but not a strong spark, and only if rubbed against a ground it would not leap like the coil plug did. The lead from the neg. terminal was more of a sizzle than anything

Oh The coil out put is strong at the coil and the distributor side of the wire. It was just almost non existent spark at the plug side of the wiresand nonexistent to the point of when the spark plugs are connected there is no spark.

cylinders 1 and 5 and 4 are not getting spark 2,3, and 6 are getting good strong spark. I purchased new cap rotor and plug wires and now half of my cylinders are getting good strong spark the other half still are not sparking.... cant figure it out.angry.gif

At least the coil and module are working. Did you buy a 1975 cap or a 1973 cap? Apparently, according to the O'Reilly Auto web site, they're not the same. I don't know how they're different, just that they sell two different parts for those years. You need a 1975 cap. Probably a 75 rotor too.

Click on the Compatibility tab -

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDI1/100121/02783.oap?year=1975&make=Nissan&model=280Z&vi=1209204&ck=Search_distributor+cap+%26+rotor_1209204_-1&keyword=distributor+cap+%26+rotor

Almost there.

Edited by NewZed

Yes the cap and rotor are for a 75. What is the likely hood that the reluctor wheel is bad? or the pickup is not reading right. That seems like the next likely scenario. I believe the original issue was the rotor was from auto zone and the cap from Napa there were distinct visual differences between the two caps. Maybe different manufacture standards between Napa parts and the duralast parts.

Edited by suparman

Set the gap between reluctor wheel and pickup coil according to the FSM, Electrical section. It's important. An easy adjustment. Maybe the triggering voltage is too weak for a few of the reluctor wheel teeth.

Congrats. Hard to believe after the long trail. It's always the little things that get you.

Now that it's working right, you should probably make sure that the vacuum advance breaker plate isn't rusted frozen, just to get full benefits. The vacuum advance can will eventually break the plastic bearing holder if it's stuck too hard. Might have to take it apart, remove some rust and relube it.

And don't forget to open up the gap on your plugs to take advantage of the stronger spark. .040" is about the common standard for electronic ignition.

New issue's...12.4 at battery, 12.2 at coil pos, 12.2 coil neg, 0 on b,g,w and c has 12.2 if I reverse long black and white with short black and white I get 8.4 coil pos, 1.9 coil neg, 10.3 on w and g,10.8 on b, and 1.8 on c.... the coil has become hot enough to burn me while running these test's. No spark at all from the coil wire no matter what I do.