HybridZ

What is this?

Dear HybridZ communtiy,

In my '77 280Z, there's a rubber part right where the arrow is pointing in the picture.

280ov.jpg

One open end is open facing the engine, and the other open end is facing my air filter. Does this thing take warm air from my engine, and send it down my air filter, back into my engine? Anyone know what this part is called and what it really does? Other than confuse me, of course.

Thank You! Cheers!

Edited by TheCrazySwede

I think he's talking about the plastic nozzle on the end of the air intake tract. On the 280Zs at least, maybe the 240s and 260s, they bent the intake back in to the engine bay, so the air is drawn from the engine side of the radiator mounting "wall", right in front of the charcoal emissions canister. I have one on my 76. It's attached with a band clamp to the typical Z car metal air filter housing. Probably designed to keep water and debris from getting in.

It could be debatable on whether or not the air is warm. You'd have to know how the air flows through the engine bay. But yes, it is the entry point of the air intake system.

I think he's talking about the plastic nozzle on the end of the air intake tract. On the 280Zs at least, maybe the 240s and 260s, they bent the intake back in to the engine bay, so the air is drawn from the engine side of the radiator mounting "wall", right in front of the charcoal emissions canister. I have one on my 76. It's attached with a band clamp to the typical Z car metal air filter housing. Probably designed to keep water and debris from getting in.

It could be debatable on whether or not the air is warm. You'd have to know how the air flows through the engine bay. But yes, it is the entry point of the air intake system.

That's exactly what I was talking about! I just don't understand that design. What is that plastic bit for? It just looks like it's feeding the air from the engine back into the air filter, and at operating temperatures, I wouldn't assume it to be cool air, either. Thanks for the reply!