HybridZ

throttle cable and seats

I too used Lokar - was cake. Cable has stretched a touch but it's not too bad. Put a fender washer on the firewall to make the hole smaller (polished stainless icon_smile.gif). Have a friend help tighten it - was easy to adapt to the throttle cable but you might want to trim a bit off the bottom of the pedal - mine wanted to catch the carpet...

Guest Anonymous

I used a 1/2" x 1" EMT conduit adaptor the firewall. ($.79) Available at any lumber or plumbing supply store. It virtually threads into the existing hole in the firewall, and steps the size down to the stock Chevrolet 70/80's pickup style cables. The stock GM cable slips right into the EMT connector without in other modification. I then bought a VW Rabbit throttle cable and cut the throttle end off and inserted it through the GM cable. The VW pedal clip fits the Datsun pedal ball perfectly and once put on, stays put by design. Securing the other end of both the cable housing and the cable itself are a matter of individual preference.

I brazed an Datsun Roadster throttle bell crank assy on to the Holley carb linkage plate. The result is absolutely the smoothest throttle application you can imagine. The bell crank system also delivers the same amount of throttle opening per inch of pedal movement through out the entire throttle movement range.

For super accurate staging at the lights, those of you who know what it means to "take a bite of a bulb" can appreciate it when I say that this system offers unmatched control over minute changes in throttle position. Fixed position attachment points on the carb by definition speed up throttle response initially then slow down towards the top of the throttle arc. There is nothing wrong with a fixed position mounting, I simply prefer the smoothness of the bell crank.

The nice thing about this combination of parts is that one can find replacement parts virtually anytime and anywhere without waiting for a custom throttle manufacturer to send you one.

The shape of the GM cable is a lazy "S" which adapts to virtually any engine/carb to firewall dimension without cutting the cable.

Lokar, Moroso and others build a trick quick release holddown plate which acts as both a carb spacer as well as a mount for the carb end of the cable. These are super rigid and bulletproof as mounts go. Some of the adjustable mounts available leave a little to be desired in the rigidity department.