HybridZ

Ground clearance

I am installing my exhaust and couldn't find what is a good number to shoot for in regards to exhaust ground clearances.

Trying to decide if my Flowmasters will fit without constantly scraping the pavement.

Mainly it will be a street car.

Thanks

ritrebor

As many inches as possible?

Near the axles you can be, and usually have to be, a little lower. The middle of the car is usually what rubs, as you travel over bumps. I just fixed my exhaust, it dips down near the transmission crossmember, goes back up into the tunnel, then back down under the rear suspension. What was once rubbing all the time is now fixed. Now my tires need fixing.

I usually aim to fit it higher than the frame rails. +/- about .5 inch. I know that's not possible in some cases, but it's a good target, since if you're going to bottom out, usually it's your rails that take the hit.

In 4x4'ing we're taught to aim for rocks and bumps with your tires, it's kinda the same thing here, if something looks too tall to go under the center of your car, either avoid or try to put a wheel on it. Try not to let things go down the center of your vehicle. That is unless you think your oil pan needs an upgrade.

77 280z

350 Chevy

JTR mounts

700R4 Trans

225-45-17 Fronts 245-45-17 Rear

16Gal Fuel Cell & Battery mounted in cutout spare tire well.

No room next to fuel cell for muffler. Only exhaust pipe.

Dual 2-1/2" Exhaust pipes.

I measured my frame rail height at 5" Front crossmember at 5-3/4" Front of Diff 7"

Oil Pan at 4-1/4" Header Down Pipe 4"

My Rails are 2" below the floor pan.

The Flowmasters is 4" high. Want to run 2 of them.

Putting the H-Pipe just behind the trans.

I just can't figure out where to put the mufflers as I don't think I have enough clearance.

Looks like the best I could do is around 2-1/2" ground clearance with a 1/2" between the muffler and the floor.

The other alternative is to mount them at an angle under the rear control arms.

I know others have done it with enough clearance. Any other ideas? Pics would help greatly.

ritrebor

Edited by ritrebor

+1 to johnc, Y it together after the transmission and run it out the stock location with a single 3" pipe.

I built a dual exhaust for my dad's LS1 rx7, it took 3 8+ hour days of grinding and fitting, that car has a little more room underneath than a Z and has places for 2 mufflers at the back stock.

There's nothing worse than crap ground clearance IMO.