HybridZ

rb25det header

Hey guys i have been searching google for rb25det header info for a few days now. I found a lot of ebay stuff and some really nice expensive ones, but nobody says anything about fitting in a datsun 240z mostly 240sx stuff. i don't care who makes the header i just want to know which ones fit nicely.

What do you guys used and your advice and could you provide some pics of your setup thanks.

Nobody makes (mass produces) a manifold for the Rb's in a Z swap. If you buy Custom they are big bucks!!! BUT any of the top mount manifolds Ebay sells will work in a Z but most need the waste gate plumbing redone. for example my greddy manifold needed the wastegate tube shortened and rotated so it was closer to the block.

Wow thanks rs speed and stony that's what I was looking for. I don't know why I didn't think of searching for exhaust manifold also. So what design works best? Should I be searching for equal length 3 2 1+ style or does on not matter with a turbo application?

Wow thanks rs speed and stony that's what I was looking for. I don't know why I didn't think of searching for exhaust manifold also. So what design works best? Should I be searching for equal length 3 2 1+ style or does on not matter with a turbo application?

You have to know what turbo your going to run first or you may end up having to change the turbo flange on the manifold.

Yeah from what I read a gt or gtx3076 sounds good but I still need to do a little reading on it first. I think I want ball bearing but I need more details on them im new to turbo applications. I like the v flange idea but im still not sure what the limits are on that yet. Has anyone felt with stainlesssteelheaders.com? Im going to call them tomorrow when they open up and see what they say about it.

Hey guys i have been searching google for rb25det header info for a few days now.

What do you guys used and your advice and could you provide some pics of your setup thanks.

Not sure if this is any use to you as my cars rhd

But from what I rem this 6 branch manifold places the turbo in the same place as stock.

Just a cheapy ebay special

11af5b4b.jpg

Edited by 900ss

Some of them will not work as the shock/strut tower interferes as previously mentioned.

The cheapo top mount from CX Racing orientates the turbo at an angle that will not work if you have a stock hood and strut tower.

I have one. I ended up cutting the T3 flange off and re-orientating the T3 mounting flange parallel to the valve covers.

Most of the cheapo Ebay ones will work if they are parallel and towards the center of the engine. Top mounts near the front are an issue and if you find any near the rear you may also run into issues with exhaust routing or heat issues with a LH brakes/steering column! Almost all that use an external wastegate mount are a pain to route(that is the wastegate and associated piping) in the Z engine bay, though I dont know many cars that are easy.

The OBX-R/6SR/6 branch/...fill in the blank china stock manifold replacement header fits nicely. This is the one shown above by 900ss. I have one as well and I know a few others do as well. A few of he sellers have listed this manifold as a RB20det manifold only. I do not know why, but I will say that there are several versions of it. Some are distinct with extra brackets to re-enforce the pipes to the cylinder head flange. All the versions I have seen do not meet my personal standards of quality. I had to surface both the cylinder head flange and T3 flange on my final choice. Also you will note they all have really crappy internal fitment. You will see where they plasma torched through the pipe and then just aligned the other pipes to be welded up by a really nice welder! So you end up with really rough edges and holes that do not line up very well/are not properly sized. At best its a stock replacement if you do not have a fixable stock manifold. Some of the top mounts are made the same way.

My 2 cents is that if you are going to buy a non-custom manifold, buy the CHEAPEST and EASIEST one to modify and expect it to be trouble. If you get a good one... your luck may not be that good and it may crack on you out of spite not far down the road.

After 3 different installed manifolds Im waiting for insurance to come through so I can buy the really expensive custom one.

hey so i called up stainless headers and they have a flange all cut out and ready for a skyline head and can do a custom header for 1500.00. thats way more then i would like to pay for something right now but after looking around at other stuff on the web i think i would go their route.i think they have the art down. the guy said to make a custon header for my application he would send me a flange for my head and a mock up kit then i would need to send the mock up back then they could build my header exactly how i wanted it. only a few problems with this are one. i live in alaska and shipping is stupid expensive for back and forth travel and two. my motor is not in my z so it cant be mocked up.

now it sounds like these ebay headers work but the craftsmanship is hit or miss and it sounds like its mostly a misses not to mention that its not build for our cars in the first place. im new on this site sorta and im not exactly sure on how it all works but is anybody interested in a another group buy for a super nice rb header???

http://www.stainlessheaders.com

• 2 months later...

So searching the web for a cheep rb25 turbo manifold I discovered that cxracing has build a new header just for a rb25 into s30 swap. Also they are planing on manufacturing a complete swap in kit. This includes motor mounts, oil pan ,exhaust manifold, down pipe.

http://zilvia.net/f/z-chassis/461047-cxracing-240z-rb25det-swap-build-engine-transmission-mount-turbo-intercooler-kit.html

That stuff in made in China, built by the lowest bidder.Like everything they sell.

Remember a header is for a NA car and a turbo manifold is for a TURBO car totally different.....so there could be some confusion on what you really want.....

Edited by fast-datsun

The definition of a manifold is " a component of the exhaust system consisting in a collection of tubes, usually of cast iron, that channel the exhaust gasses from the cylinders of the engine to the rest of the exhaust system".

The dictionary term for header refers back to exhaust manifold in relation to automotive. Basically its different names for the same thing.

Most people put it this way.

stock = manifold

aftermarket = header.

• 2 months later...

"Equal length" loses much much of it's advantage when you add "turbo" to the mix.

Not everybody is sold in equal length when you have a turbo.

1100hp, 10 pole positions, and 3 wins in 1972.

http://www.tsrfcars.com/images-72-029/72-029-2009-07-06-5.jpg

Our standing mile record car doesn't have equal length exhaust headers.

Edited by HowlerMonkey