HybridZ

stroker 3.1 build

sotaorava

hi all

i know there are many post about these builds and i have read most that i can find

but there are few questions still remaining...

my bottom end is

-n42 89mm bore

-ld28 crank

-9mm 240z rods

-240sx pistons with 2.8cc dish

i have read that compression with those parts and 2mm head gasket is 10.14:1

i am planning to use 1.5mm head gasket and then piston to head would be 0.9mm which would be better according my head builder?

any danger that valves hits pistons?

can anyone calculate what would compression be using 1.5mm head gasket?

and what camshaft (and where to buy) would be best for that compression?

car is for daily driver occasionally little race ;)

so i am looking wide powerband max rpm 7000-7500??

first i am planning to drive my ztherapy su:s with sm needles and when budget allows go to tribles

i have msa 6-2-1 header also ready with 2.5" exhaust

Piston to valve clearance will depend on camshaft selected. There is an engine calculator out there for the Datsun L engines that let you change gasket thickness and other parameters to calculate compression. Engine cal

Search around here for what others have done regarding cams, it will depend on what you want the engine to do and what comprimises you make.

For your target RPM band, are you using cast or forged pistons? Also, APR rod bolts I assume?

thanks for that calculator!

it says compression is 10.77 with 1.5mm gasket i think that would be ok for pump gas

or is there possibility to increase compression to 11.5 or somenthing if i use correct cam... and what would be correct cam

for wide powerband and that compression?

we have here in finland 98 octane i believe its ron? is that about 93 octane us gas?

my headbuilder said that exhaust valve should be increased a bit to 37mm intake should be fine at 44mm +basic porting of course.What you people think about that?

pistons are standard 240sx believe those are cast not forget

and head is n42

Edited by sotaorava

There has been a lot of discussion here if the extra power/efficiency gained from raising the CR offsets the loss of power/efficiency when timing has to be retarded due to detonation. I suspect you will not be able to run full advance with 11.5:1 CR on 93 pump gas with an open chamber head such as the N42. The conservative approach would be to get the CR into the 10:1 range, maybe even lower, with your configuration.

Resources

Enter in custom numbers, you are not restricted to what is in the drop down panels

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/calcs/engine%20builder/index.html'>http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/calcs/engine%20builder/index.html

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

And of course this place is filled with info if you are diligent.

I would be very cautious about going with a Schneider cam. Search and you're going to find many who have had cam failures - I'm one who "did everything right" including using ZDDP religiously. For less money you can have a cam reground by Isky or Delta Cams that is customized for your application. You'll have to source the balance of the parts yourself (it's not a kit), but you'll be using a Nissan blank which has proven to be more reliable than the Schneider. Most tedious task for me was to determine the correct lash pad size and then find them. But I believe Z Car Customs now has them available.

Spend some time searching here and then you can make an informed decision about a cam.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...