HybridZ

FS5W71C into 260z Auto to Manual conversion

astrothedog

So I have access to two really strong ka 5 speeds for pretty much free. I've seen here http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm that this guy put one on his z car. I was wondering if I would need to locate a 71b bell housing or can i use the 71c? Also this would be an auto to manual conversion. Is there anyone that has experience with this? Any help is greatly appreciated before I decide to go ahead get the 5 speeds. And yes I have considered a ka swap because I have access to those too but I prefer to stay L series.

You need to use the manual bellhousing that was attached to the L series and have it machined to work with the KA gearbox.The KA bell housing is just slightly off.

When my fiend was heling me do my clutch and flywheel, he had a spare KA tranny laying around and it was just off enough to not be able to work (although we were tired and didn't try super hard to line anything up while the engine was in the car, I'm sure we would have tried a little more if it was out of the car.)

As for the 5 speed swap, you need everything from the clutch pedal assembly, to the tranny/driveshaft, and everything in between( clutch mc, hardlines, slave cylinder, flywheel/clutch, tranny mount etc.) I'm currently gathering parts for my 240sx 5 speed swap. I mean I have an auto 240sx, and I'm converting it to 5 speed, not a KA 5 speed swap in my datsun.

Edited by BluDestiny

I was thinking I could take my old driveshaft and the 240sx driveshaft and get one machined. But I'd have to check around where I live to see if there's even a shop that could do this for me. If not then I'll definitely get my hands on a 240z driveshaft.

From what I understand for the brake pedal, the actual mechanism is the same, but the pedal is just wider. A lot of 240sx guys ust use a cut off wheel and measure and chop it. Then use the rubber to cover it up. Ghetto, but I guess it works.

I'm not planning on doing that when I swap in my manual tranny, I have a manual brake pedal.

Don't forget to remove the collar from the tranny side of the driveshaft, if you use a Z driveshaft.

He mentions it here:

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission4.htm

driveshaft2.jpg

And you can see why you can't use the collar/dust cover:

assemLft.jpg

Replace ujoints while you're at it. ;) I didn't have the money to do the ujoints in my truck and from the beginning I had a vibration from 22-23mph. Walloped out my rear seal, oil slowly exited my tranny which conveniently hit critical levels when I was 1:30 hours from home. Now I have a bearing that chatters from 60-65mph. :( All for some crusty ujoints!

Might want to look into any wiring that may throw you off. For instance a kickdown sensor, a sensor preventing you from starting the car in gear, maybe one that adjusts timing or fuel according to what gear you are in, etc. My truck had stuff similar to that, but it had a manual tranny.

Edited by josh817