HybridZ

77 280z won't turn over

I recently bought a 77 280z, and it won't turn over. The get I bought it from had blown the head gasket and replaced it. After that he started it, and said it ran for a bit, but had low oil pressure then died and wouldn't turn over any more.

I have replaced the starter, battery, added an extra ground, jumped the starter, none of it has worked. The engine turns over by hand. When the key is in run, the fuel pump humms loudly, and when you try to start it the starter clicks and nothing.

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong, before I just say forget the L28 and drop in a 350? Thanks

What does the voltmeter do when you try to start it? Does it go to zero or just drop a little bit?

You might just have dirty battery connections, or a bad battery. Could be at the posts or between the wire and the terminals, especially if they're the style that clamp on the bare wire ends. You might have the same problem with the 350 after it's dropped in.

I would say if you jumped the starter the engine should have turned over, so I would look at the starter as being the main issue.

Have you checked the voltage at the ignition switch?.

Have you checked for battery voltage at the battery cables going to the starter?.

Have you checked the voltage at the starter signal wire ( small wire going to starter )?.

What condition are the battery cables in?. Are they Original?.

I would check all of those with a volt meter before giving up on the L.

Edited by dexter72

Have you tested the starter off the engine? If the engine turns by hand, a good starter installed properly should turn it also. Did you replace with new, or replace with old? Maybe you got another bad one, or it bound up during installation.

There's not much to a starter - an electric motor with a solenoid actuated gear. Two electrical components that work together. L28 or 350, they work the same way.

The starter was a refurbished one from a parts store, but I didn't get it tested before I installed it. Later today I'll take it out and get it tested.

I haven't tested voltage anywhere except the battery while starting it. But even if the problem was at the key or ignition unit, it should have at least turned over when jumping it.

The only thing I can think of is either I didn't get the starter in right or it was bad to begin with.

When I had the starter off I turned it over by hand again and the flywheel didn't turn over with it, so I'm guessing crank is broke somewhere.

So I don't have to make a new thread, anyone have suggestions on a manual turbo 350 vs an auto 700 for tranny? It will be a temporary, 2 or 3 years, swap till I get my rb26 ready to be put in.

There's something odd about planning to swap a 350, then later an RB, when you can't get the starter to turn the engine over. I would guess that you'll run in to much tougher problems with the swaps. But these things do make the forum interesting...